Dealing with special characters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Dealing with special characters

Post by chulett »

yaminids wrote:P.S The default NLS is set to ISO8859-1
Whose default NLS is set to that? The DataStage client or your database? I'm suspecting the former.

It would be best to let us know details like which database you are using and what its NLS setting is, also if your DataStage installation is NLS enabled or not.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yaminids »

Hi Craig,

The DataStages' NLS is defaulted to ISO8859-1 and the installation is NLS enabled.
We are using Oracle 9i database and I am not sure about the default character set of the db (I think it would be UTF8)

Thanks
Yamini
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yaminids »

Craig,

Can you please answer the following questions?

1) Does DataStage store characters with special characters differently than the database
2) Does DataStage reduce the field length whenever it finds a special character in the data?

Thanks lot in advance
Yamini
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

What about LEN(TRIM({string})) to see if the "missing" character is part of the text or the buffered data. I suspect it isn't the text, but your padding.
yaminids
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by yaminids »

Hi ArndW,

You are right. When I calculated the length, the field is showing the correct length as in source.
Can you please through some light on the issue of the padding of the field?

Thanks
Yamini
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You haven't stated where your data is coming from. Is it a text file or a database? DataStage will not just strip one character from this string; so I would use a hex display editor if the source is a flat file or the substring functions in your query language directly to make 100% of the field length first.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you do the same measurements using ByteLen() rather than Len()?

Comparing the two (ByteLen and Len) will allow you to detect rows where there an apparent problem. Resolving it won't be quite so easy.

Awaiting your ByteLen() values.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.