performance issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pkomalla
Premium Member
Premium Member

performance issue

Post by pkomalla »

Hi all,

I am running a job which extratcs data from one Oracle database passes trough a transform and loads into another oracle DB. Last week it ran at 100 rows/sec now its running at lessthan 1 row/sec.

We tested the sql code on oracle DB its running fine. It seems their is some problem with datastage server.

Any tips of how to find the problem?

thanks,
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Write your data to a sequential file and read it from that file. That will give you the effective speed of all stages leading to the file stage and also the effective speed of all stages after the file stage. This will help you narrow down the cause of the speed slowdown. You can continue doing this by moving the sequential write/read stage to different parts of your job.

Also, does your transform stage have a high %CPU (in that case you are bound by processing capability). Chances are very high that Oracle is the culprit, so monitoring that will give you the best results.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: performance issue

Post by ray.wurlod »

pkomalla wrote:We tested the sql code on oracle DB its running fine. It seems their is some problem with datastage server.

What has changed in the meantime? If the DataStage job has not been changed clearly it can not be the culprit.

What is the total other load on the machine? For example, are you running lots of other work - DataStage or otherwise - that you weren't running when performance (whatever that means) was acceptable?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Chuah
Participant

Re: performance issue

Post by Chuah »

pkomalla wrote:Hi all,

I am running a job which extratcs data from one Oracle database passes trough a transform and loads into another oracle DB. Last week it ran at 100 rows/sec now its running at lessthan 1 row/sec.

We tested the sql code on oracle DB its running fine. It seems their is some problem with datastage server.

thanks,

I'd suggest running an ANALYZE in your Oracle DB to regenerate the stats for the optimizer.
Try running your SQL within the database and check the performance. I doubt it's a DataStage issue.
tcj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tcj »

I had this same argument this morning with one of the people working on my current project.

Sql was running fast last week. Now it is running slow.

Analyse the tables and it is back to running fast.

Tim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'd say your DBAs aren't really on the ball if you have to ask to have proper stats / histograms maintained on your tables. :roll:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tcj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tcj »

That would be true if it was a production environment. :D
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Regardless. I'd shoot my DBAs if all they cared about were production environments. :shock:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers