Urgent question: How to dynamic set file names parameter

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

xmw2000
Participant

Urgent question: How to dynamic set file names parameter

Post by xmw2000 »

Dears,

sorry to bother! I have one urgent question, hope you can give some suggestions! Thanks in advance.

From the logic, the job is very simple. It just analysis one input file, then according to the file content, output the related results to different sequential files and these sequential file name is dynamic.

Take an example, if input file contains "American", the it will put all the American data into "American.txt" file, while if contains "flower", the output file name should be "flower.txt".

Of course, we can draw all stages in one panel of DS designer, but it's very, very tedious because we will have 600 more output files. So is there one way to dynamic update file name parameter?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Welcome to our forum.

Your requirement is not one that DataStage is meant to solve. Of course, you could use job parameters for the file names, but because you don't know the file names ahead of time you can't use job parameters.

What I would suggest is that you add a column to the output file, say in the first position, that is a partitioning value. Then, after processing all data into single output file, you can use a simple ksh or perl script to break it into the indeterminate number of output files. That is really easy to do in ksh. If the data volume is large, go for a perl, java, or c program. If the data volume is small, ksh is probably fine.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
xmw2000
Participant

Post by xmw2000 »

It's a great idea. I will try to use it!

Appreciate for your help!
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

Try with folder stage and aggregator stage...

Thanks,
Anupam
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

sb_akarmarkar wrote:Try with folder stage and aggregator stage...

Thanks,
Anupam
Do you mean writing the record id as file name for each set of group.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

For some reason, I was thinking the Folder stage was Windoze only. I checked the 7.5 documentation and it looks like it might work. I'm pretty sure that it's one-row to one-file, unless you pack all rows for a file together. The only way to do this is to SORT by the filename column I suggested, then using stage variables in a Transformer concatenate all rows into a single row, pass to an Aggregator on filename break, use Aggregator LAST derivation on the data to insure all rows come from Transformer, then on to the Folder stage.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
parag.s.27
Participant

Post by parag.s.27 »

If you know the exact column from where this data is comming then write a routine to read data from file...use help..

then in a sequence use routine execution stage to extact the data and pass it through a user variable stage...and now use this variable in file names
Thanks & Regards
Parag Saundattikar
Certified for Infosphere DataStage v8.0
parag.s.27
Participant

Post by parag.s.27 »

that is

Code: Select all

USERVARIABLE stage----->Routine Activity Stage---->then for ur final job 
                                        give file path here             for file name use
                                         and the stage name            use: -

<Routine Stage Name>.$ReturnValue

every time this value should be fed to the job as a parameter
Thanks & Regards
Parag Saundattikar
Certified for Infosphere DataStage v8.0
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Etiquette Note
We don't do "urgent" here. This is an all-volunteer site; no-one gets paid for posting. We post as and when we can. Some of us are asleep when your need is urgent, if indeed it really is. If you want urgent response, sign up with your support provider and learn the true cost of "urgent".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

kumar_s wrote:Do you mean writing the record id as file name for each set of group.
Yes... Kenneth has given solution ... and it works fine ...
Just in concatenation put CHAR(13) and CHAR(10) for new line...

Thanks,
Anupam