Detect change in copybook metadata

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Chuah
Participant

Detect change in copybook metadata

Post by Chuah »

Hi,

in DS Manager,I can import a copybook into the DS repository which is fine. Now if the source metadata has changed for this filegroup, is there a way to automatically detect this change when the copybook is imported into DS ?
Has anyone done anything similar to detect changes in their copybooks? The issue that we have too is that we will potentially be having 1000 copybooks to import and these can change,with the notification coming much later.

thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Currently no. The "diff" tool you request is in the next ("Hawk") release. But it's not automatic - you have to ask for a comparison to be made.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Chuah
Participant

Post by Chuah »

ray.wurlod wrote:Currently no. The "diff" tool you request is in the next ("Hawk") release. But it's not automatic - you have to ask for a comparison to be made. ...
Thanks Ray.Is there a way to query the Universe database once the copybook has been imported? The approach that I'm thinking of is to load the latest copybooks into a dummy DS project and run a query to compare against what is in production. But that would mean running queries against the Universe database.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes there is, but it's really ugly (do you know how to unnest multi-valued fields, for example, or access data in undefined columns?).

Even though it's deprecated, you may find this an easier task in the Reporting Assistant, concentrating on the DSColumns table.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Amos.Rosmarin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Amos.Rosmarin »

Hi,

I guess what you are realy looking for is MetaStage, this tool will notify you in case of metadata changes.
The diff functionality will give you the diff between 2 existing objects, if you are doing import and the new table definition runs over the old one you will not be able to do a diff.
Another option is to create a dsx file and do a unix diff between dsx's.

Metastage is not simple but it will give you the best results.

Amos
WDWolf
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by WDWolf »

I have used a utility job to compare the differences from one category(sub-category) of table defs to another. This was part of the "old" bag of tricks and I probably have a copy somewhere. This Server job would produce in the log a diff report, first by member(new/deleted) and then for matching members differences in keys, column defs, and of course new/missing columns. - may take a bit to dig this up, I will get back to folks!
William Wolf
Wolf Consulting
612-719-9066