Export of jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shyju
Participant

Export of jobs

Post by shyju »

Hi All,
Can we export a whole project from manager and at the same time export again whole project from the manager by opening another session? Will it currupt any job since the export is done twice on the same project and at the same time?

Cheers,
Shyju.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Never tried, but should be fine I would think.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Since the export checks for locked jobs I assume that it also takes and holds locks, so two jobs running concurrently might lock each other out of jobs - but I haven't tried it either. Any jobs in the export file should be OK, though.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Technically they should process the project in the same order so, provided that they are started far enough apart and there are no very large objects in the project, they should both succeed.

If they do not, the later-started export will skip any objects locked by the first-started export, and may then "get ahead" and lock objects that would then have to be skipped by the first-started export.

In general, it may work but it's not recommended practice.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Do not try this on import. It will fail.
Mamu Kim
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Even when "Whole Project" option is selected, I could see the lock is held on Job wise and not project wise. As ray mentioned, unless due to some big objects present in the project which may likely to create coinsedence of the lock of both export at a time, it should be ok if both where triggered to export with considerable time difference.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'