Extract Requirements of Data

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tostay2003
Participant

Extract Requirements of Data

Post by tostay2003 »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me in detail, what all factors need to be concerned for "Extract Requirements of Data". We need to start a new project. And right now in phase to discuss about Extract Requirements. We Would like not to miss any point to repent later on :idea:

Thank You
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

I recommend that you get some training/mentoring in ETL or research or read some books. This would help you far more than the quick fix you will get here! If you learn it and then apply it you will own it, but if we give it to you then you will have learned nothing.

There is a plethora of material on the web and in book stores regarding your very question.

Regards,
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

That question is of a very generic nature. Sounds like a process design question to me.
One thing that i really try to keep in mind while designing my process is to extract only the new/changed records from the source database based on a timestamp.
Design the extract to accept two parameters which will be used in the where predicate for my sql select.
My 2 cents.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Extract Requirements of Data

Post by ray.wurlod »

tostay2003 wrote:Can anyone tell me in detail, what all factors need to be concerned for "Extract Requirements of Data".
There are some folks around who make a living doing exactly that. They tend to have titles like "business analyst", and produce documents called "source to target mapping" or, if you're lucky, "target from source mapping". Does your organization have any business analysts on staff who are allocated to this project? If not, you seriously ought to consider hiring one or two, and guaranteeing them access to your business's subject matter experts during their analysis phase.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You can find links to sites with these documents on www.olap.it I think Ganett had my favorite source to target documents. Not sure if they are on this site or where the exact link is for these documents.
Mamu Kim