Reading from excel worksheet

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pranav
Participant

Reading from excel worksheet

Post by pranav »

Hi,

I am having a situation where I require to read data from an excel sheet. I know that an excel sheet can be converted to an CSV file which can be utilized but that would make our process manual, while we want it to be automated.
Is there any way by which we can directly read from an excel sheet if we have the format of data fixed within. I use the server edition for development purpose.

Many thanks
Pranav
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You will need to purchace a unix based odbc driver to connect to xls files. Other than that it is not possible to read xls files.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can create a small Windows application to dump the worksheet in CSV format (and, perhaps, to initiate a file transfer), and invoke that remotely from the UNIX machine. Otherwise, you need to acquire a UNIX-based ODBC driver for Excel.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

Use ExecSH before-subroutine to rename the file... even you can pass parameter for file name

Thanks,
Anupam
sb_akarmarkar@smart-bridge.co.in
TJX Companies
Charter Member
Charter Member

Reading from excel Worksheet

Post by TJX Companies »

Hi Pranav,

Did you resolved this issue ? I have same problem in my project and would like to know how you resolved this. Did you acquired ODBC driver for Excel ? Could you please let me know ?

Thanks,

Aruna.