DB2 UDB versus DB2 Mainframe

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pavan_test
Premium Member
Premium Member

DB2 UDB versus DB2 Mainframe

Post by pavan_test »

Hi All,

I have a question. I am working on Datastage 7.5.1 server edition.

suppose I have to extract from DB2 using server edition.
and i do i have to load into DB2 .

1) what are the things i do have to keep in mind while doing the extracting and loading using datastage server edition if the source is DB2 UDB and targets are DB2 UDB

2) what are the things i do have to keep in mind while doing the extracting and loading using datastage server edition if the source is DB2 Mainframe and targets are DB2 Mainframe

thanks
pavi
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Your question is of a very generic nature. It could result in a variety of answers. Can you be more specific on what exactly you mean by "what are the things i do have to keep in mind" :?: :?: :?:
O, one more thing, If DB2 is on mainframe, i dont think you can connect directly to it using the server edition. You will have to get flat files and then you can access them via seq. file stage or CFF stage.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Another possibility is to expose the DB2/390 tables as if they were local using DB2 Connect. The fact that they are actually on the mainframe is then transparent to DataStage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
s_boyapati
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: DB2 UDB versus DB2 Mainframe

Post by s_boyapati »

You can use DB2 UDB API as a source and DB2 API or DB2 UDB Load as target.(DS server <-> DB2 UDB)

In case of DB2 mainframe, you always point to DB2 connect server where it is loaded. That DB2 connect software will point you to DB2 mainframe. ( DS Server <-> Db2connect <-> DB2 mainframe).

pavan_test wrote:Hi All,

I have a question. I am working on Datastage 7.5.1 server edition.

suppose I have to extract from DB2 using server edition.
and i do i have to load into DB2 .

1) what are the things i do have to keep in mind while doing the extracting and loading using datastage server edition if the source is DB2 UDB and targets are DB2 UDB

2) what are the things i do have to keep in mind while doing the extracting and loading using datastage server edition if the source is DB2 Mainframe and targets are DB2 Mainframe

thanks
pavi