Number of projects on a single server.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

poorna_76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of projects on a single server.

Post by poorna_76 »

Regarding the use of multiple projects, I understand that some company's have put as many as 9000 jobs in a single project with a limit of 5000 in Unix. I've also been told they've used as many as 80 projects. (Limit of 75 on Unix)
Based on these stats, technical constraints with having many projects or jobs in a single project don't seem to be an issue.

Any suggestions or comments regarding when to create a new project? What guidelines have been used to make this determination?

Steve Neuerman
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Hi Steve,

Determining when to create a new project varies from site to site. Although, at the current site, whenever they take up a new intiative, they create a new project. Also, projects can be created based on the subject areas of the organisation.

May be you could get an expert opinion from our gurus. They always do an excellent job providing their valuable pieces of information. Thanks Gurus!

Thanks,
Naveen.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

My rule of thumb is create a new project if none of the new jobs need to be run by the existing jobs. It almost always means this is a totally unrelated subject area.

Remind me not to work on this project. 9000 jobs has to be brutal in the Director.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Prior to version 6.0 DataStage was licensed per project, so it was an expensive undertaking to add more projects than were licensed.

Since version 6.0 DataStage is licensed per CPU so there is no limit to the number of projects. (This may not be the case: an enterprise licence limits to 999 CPUs - there may be some other ridiculously high limit to the number of projects, but it's definitely not as low as 75.)

Not sure what the rules will be for Hawk, but there's nothing apparent in the current licensing mechanism to limit the number of projects. Typically you have development, test (maybe x2) and production for each main subject area, plus one or a few "sandpit" or training projects that can be deleted when no longer required.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.