Universe File

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vinay_renu2001
Participant

Universe File

Post by vinay_renu2001 »

Hello Guys

This is the first time iam working with Unverse. I dont have an idea about it. Does unvierse database contains tables and files?
Can anyone tell me some thing about UniVerse file?
How can we access that through DataStage. When i gone throug the doc's i came to know that i can access through Hashed file stage. But it is asking for the "account name". Can any one tell me what is that account?
And also iam not able to view the UniVerse dynamic file data from vi editor.

Thanks & regards
Vinay
Thanks and Regards
Vin
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

UniVerse is a database product, marketed by IBM

It is a database product that can compete with the likes of Oracle, Sybase, DB2 and so on. It contains tables, which are implemented using hashed file technology. It also includes a complete application development environment, support for triggers, HTML, XML, ODBC, OLEDB, sockets, and all kinds of other stuff including a BASIC programming language.

DataStage was originally written as a UniVerse-based application. When IBM purchased UniVerse (version 9.6 of UniVerse and version 5.2 of DataStage), DataStage and UniVerse became separate products, with separate code streams, separate development and separate operational parameters. DataStage has since progressed through version 6.0, 7.0, 7.1 and 7.5, with 8.x imminent. UniVerse has since progressed through version 10.0 and 10.1, with version 10.2 imminent.

You can't view a UniVerse table from vi for exactly the same reason you can't view an Oracle table or a DB2 table from vi - the structure of the database is between you and the data.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
grb_garre
Participant

Re: Universe File

Post by grb_garre »

Vinay,

You can browse the universe database through command interface available in administrator with dsadm previlege
Regards,
Raj
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No you can't! You can browse the DataStage database.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
sb_akarmarkar
Participant

Post by sb_akarmarkar »

Using hash file you can view some of metadata but no all...In hash file account name is nothing but project name.

Thanks,
Anupam
vinay_renu2001
Participant

Post by vinay_renu2001 »

sb_akarmarkar wrote:Using hash file you can view some of metadata but no all...In hash file account name is nothing but project name.

Thanks,
Anupam
Hello guys,

Thanks for all the responses.

Anupam, Though iam giving the my project name as Account name, still the DataStage is unable to open the UniVerse file. :!:

And also for the Account Name in the hashed file stage, it has a drop down box. that means, does it sould automatically list the project names or we need to manually enter it?

After some research i made, i came to know that the UniVerse dynamic file contains a diectory which contains a data file and control file, for this Do we need to write any routine to convert the UniVerse dynamic file into text file? :?: Can any help me out on this issue?

Thanks & Regards
Vinay
Thanks and Regards
Vin
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Universe is a database, its not a file that you are about to view.
What are you trying to exactly do ?
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
vinay_renu2001
Participant

Post by vinay_renu2001 »

DSguru2B wrote:Universe is a database, its not a file that you are about to view.
What are you trying to exactly do ?

Hi

Thanks for your reply!!

Actually, i dont have a sound understanding on Universe Database. Here my source system guys are providing me the Universe files. My perception is that , they are generating those files from UniVerse. Those files are dynamic.

Now i have to load those files into a target Database tables. After some research i came to know that, i can process the Unverse files only by using Hashed file stage. While iam trying to use Hashed file Stage, it is asking for the either of the two options:

1. Using Account name: Here there is a drop down list, (here nothing is appearing to me in the drop down box. Does it suppose to be some thing? Do i need to do any thing in any of the Configuration files?

or

2. It is asking for the directory path: When i browse for the directory where those files are located, they are not appearing.

And also they are saying that those are the dynamic files? Can any one tell me what exactly it is and its significance?
Thanks and Regards
Vin
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

Use the directory path, and then select the file name in the next tab and try to view the data.
The Directory path should be the location where the files are available.
Hash files are dynamic, so you need not worry.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
vinay_renu2001
Participant

Post by vinay_renu2001 »

Hi

I did it before, it didnot worked. One more thing i would like to bring it to your notice is that, here DataStage has been installed very recently. Does it needs any administrative things need to done like adding an Account in the VOC file?

Any response is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Thanks and Regards
Vin
vinay_renu2001
Participant

Post by vinay_renu2001 »

If i need to update the VOC file in DSEngine folder with the Account details, dsadm doesnot have any privileges. does Universe have any different login like uvadm?
Thanks and Regards
Vin