Regarding exporting datamodel

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

I know, this thread has been hijacked, and Iam one among many for the cause.
Still out of curiosity.... Ray, may I know your favorite Novel of film which created a big impact in your life?
Kim, you are down to earth in your post, not sure if its impact of these books. I ll get one copy soon.
I just want to read some good books. Life is too short to read bad books.
Isn't it much familiar. :wink:
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I was going to try to get back to metadata but it seems we have blown this topic completely out of the water.

Ray was talking about metadata being communication. I have seen Ray's jobs and they are well annotated. The current customer has an annotation per stage. Everything is well explained for the next programmer. It was very nice.

The tables are a different story. We have tables with 2 letters for a name. What does that communicate? They have abbreviations that are automatically applied to all table and column names no matter the length of the name. I think if a name reaches 30 characters or more then apply these abbreviations. If a table is name Provider_Dim then that makes more sense than Prv_Dim. What is the point of making this harder to read and understand? All new employees will have a lot longer learning curve because this is not intuitive. User acceptance will always take longer if the metadata is not intuitive.

I have installed some of EtlStats. Not sure they will allow me to install the whole thing. They wanted to add these tables to the model. I explained these are staging tables only for the use of developers. So far they have left them out of the model therefore the abbreviations have not been applied. Hopefully they will never be applied. Takes so much effort to fix all the other jobs.

User acceptance is key to success because if the users do not like it then they will not use it. I am not sure how others measure success but acceptance, usability and accuracy are very important.
Mamu Kim
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Huh... I have not heard of most of them mentioned by Ray. Searching about that... But I could understand the fantasy about exploring the infinite end, like Universe. Hey... hey... Iam revering to Galaxy not the database.

Kim cant install full Kim's EtlStatus :shock: Ask you client to log into DSXchange to know about your work.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

ray.wurlod wrote: I also enjoy dipping into dictionaries of indigenous words, particularly Australian aborigine and Maori; and etymology is another passion.
No wonder sometimes we have to take a peek in the dictionary while reading some of your posts :wink:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I said they will not let me install all of EtlStats. I had it working the first day I had ODBC connections.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I have not used any Australian native or Maori words thus far. Nor do I go searching for words; every word I've ever posted here is in my own vocabulary or is a technical term from the product suite.

There is certainly scope. For example one Australian language has a word for "there he goes, foaming at the mouth again".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

ray.wurlod wrote:For example one Australian language has a word for "there he goes, foaming at the mouth again".
Hmmm....Very fascinating. Would love to know the word. :wink:

And I bet "etymology" is quite a passion. :D Certainly helps in deciphering new words.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
narasimha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by narasimha »

It's strange how same words/slangs have different meaning in different parts of the world.
One of my friend who visited Austraila told me.
Beer, Drunk in the US is piss and pissed respectively in Australia :roll:
Interesting supporting linkhere
Narasimha Kade

Finding answers is simple, all you need to do is come up with the correct questions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Research in The Adventures of Barry McKenzie
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.