How to measure performance?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

We decided it might be a legal hassle. If you posted IBM always beating Sun even though the servers were not the issue. Maybe they had EMC drives and the disk drives caused these performance gains.

How do you compare apples to apples? EtlStats along with hardware profiles could produce good stats. We are at the mercy of the users being honest.

Not sure how many EtlStats users are willing to share this information but I would be open to hosting it. Let me know if you are interested by posing to this thread. Maybe we should do a poll.
Mamu Kim
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

I wouldn't mind doing so!
Definetly there needs to be a poll set up.
And my doubt more than half of the users don't even know what you are talking about. I would suggest to rephrase the idea. Just a suggestion. :wink:
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

Kim,
Count me IN. Would be really nice to know where I stand, and get or share possible suggestions for better performance. My numbers may raise eyebrows in certain instances, but then what the heck!! That's why I want to share it with you guys...and improve.

gateleys
ray.wurlod
Participant

Re: Has been The performance statistic report built??

Post by ray.wurlod »

jusami25 wrote:I'm looking for any numbers or a kind of benchmark comparison for my rows/second number.
As I have posted many times, rows/sec is an almost meaningless metric. It's only valuable if you can guarantee homogeneous row sizes and you can guarantee that "all else is equal". It never is.

Prefer elapsed time, since the KPI is usually the ability to meet a particular load window.

If you MUST have a rate, use something like MB/minute.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

EtlStats has MB/Sec now.
Mamu Kim