Accessing a DataStage file with Excel

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

StefL
Participant

Post by StefL »

Aha, well I see. I don't have any such problems since I'm handling financial figures and there are no leading zeros in them...
So the files I'm generating can be opened directly with Excel yes
gpbarsky
Participant

Post by gpbarsky »

Stef:

You are right: DS is not a reporting tool. Although, I'm generating html reports from within DS. I can have bold letters, change from Arial to Courier New, or whatever html code changes I want to do. The reports look good.

When I say "Que tengas buen dia", I wanted to say "Have a nice day". "Tengas" is the same as "to have". Now you know one spanish word more.

Bye.
Guillermo P. Barsky
Buenos Aires - Argentina
StefL
Participant

Post by StefL »

Indeed so, a lot of formatting CAN be applied, but I try to avoid it as far as possible since it's pretty messy.

Ah, I did understand 'buen dia' but wasn't sure about the first half. I do know the meaning of 'Que' - mostly however due to the British comedy Fawlty Towers...
Muchas Gracias for the Spanish lesson! :-)
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

Sainath.Srinivasan wrote:You can import by selecting all to be char field.
Yes, I know that, but when I email a csv to someone and they say "But you've stripped the zeros off the 'phone numbers"...
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Include a apostrophe comma just before the field value.
PhilHibbs
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PhilHibbs »

Sainath.Srinivasan wrote:Include a apostrophe comma just before the field value.
I hadn't thought of that, but it would be inconvenient to change all our DS jobs that read CSV files to trim the leading apostrophe. The main reason I open CSV files in Excel is to test our jobs that use them as intermediate data files.
Phil Hibbs | Capgemini
Technical Consultant