Are multiple versions of DS Client possable?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The politics at that site may have something to say about "unsupported"!

(This is the way things are in real life folks. DS390 is easy till you need to get authority to compile and run on the mainframe machine!)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

ray.wurlod wrote:Alas, the answer is an unqualified NO.
Actually, the answer is YES! (with conditions).

Pull out your shiny new DataStage 7.0 CD, install Utilities\Unsupported\ClientSwitcher, and switch away!

What's the condition? Well, you need to have DataStage 7.0. And it only work with 5.x, 6.x, and 7.x. Also, you can only run one specific version at a time.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

If I've got 4.2 and 6.0 software running on my machine and I get a run-time error in either version, can I ring technical support? Is it just the ClientSwitcher utility itself which is Unsupported or is it the cohabitation of different clients. What is the risk that an unexpected conflict or error of cohabiting client software could cause corruption of data in a server project?
Neil C
Participant

Post by Neil C »

Well, I have given the ClientSwitcher a good shot, but have failed to come up with a working solution. I still get the RPC message. As TJ says, perhaps it will only work for v 5, 6 and 7 (for me). Vladimir's comment on the difference in RPC program names may have something to do with my problem.

When I run the ClientSwitcherService it says that it is allready running (even after a reboot). When I run the switch program, it askes me to start the Service. Catch 22.

As this feature is unsupported, and we have plans in place to upgrade to v6 before the end of the year (and to v7 early next year), I can put up with have two PCs on my desk.

Thanks to all who made very helpfull comments on my little problem.

Cheers, Neil.
arronharden
Participant

Post by arronharden »

Neil,

First off, the client switcher utility will allow you to have 4.x & 5,6 or 7.x clients co-resident on your machine (i have this setup on my machine).

i'm intrigued you couldn't get the client switcher to execute. The client switcher service may be installed, but not actually running. Can you verify if this is the case - look in the services listing via the control panel and see the status of the 'datastage client switcher service'. If its listed as stopped, try starting it and invoking the client switcher again.

regards, Arron
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Andrew,

Thanks for responding. I like it when the information comes straight from the company. Too many times on this forum have I seen the participants post information that is in direct conflict with what the product can actually do. Many of the posts could also be solved by browsing Ascential's support site.

Thanks again,

Michael Hester
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

Neil C wrote:As this feature is unsupported, and we have plans in place to upgrade to v6 before the end of the year (and to v7 early next year), I can put up with have two PCs on my desk.
Shoot for 7.0.1 from the start (7.0.1 comes out in Nov/Dec timeframe). Trust me. :) 6.0.1 still have a lot of rough edges for PX that are polished by 7.0.1, especially if you are a lover of varchar fields, user of Lookup stage (PX), and so on forth.

But if you're using Server, 6.x is surprisingly stable and very mature as far as I know.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).