Creating 64 bit hash file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Do you get the same error when typing "RESIZE MyHashFile * * *"? Can you do a "COUNT MyHashFile USING DICT VOC"?
Das
Participant

Post by Das »

ArndW wrote:Do you get the same error when typing "RESIZE MyHashFile * * *"? Can you do a "COUNT MyHashFile USING DICT VOC"? ...
Now i can create VOC pointer without warning msg
i have used the following option
SETFILE /ABC/PQR/MyhashFile MyhashFile OVERWRITING

After that i tried with resize option it is not giving any error as I got before .It seems to be in an infinite loop.Not giving any messeges..just running long time..No results..

Please suggest...
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

OF COURSE it takes a long time. It has to process 4GB of data!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I usually prefer to create a new 64BIT file with a minimum.modulo and then copy the original data over. This leaves me more comfortable with going away and having lots of coffee or a dinner and a movie while the file is being loaded. The issue with the RESIZE is that the file gets locked and if something happens (like your cntrl-C or kill) the file can be left in a locked state.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

RESIZE is actually restartable these days. And the USING clause means you get two I/O channels rather than one. If you're really worried about locked, use CONCURRENT as well - that is also very robust. (Still avoid INPLACE though - that's a leftover from the days when 80MB was a lot of disk space and is still dangerous.)
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ray - I recently had work cleaning up after someone cntrl-C'd a large and lenghtz resize. The exclusive file lock was kept on file, just as it always has.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Of course, but it can be unlocked and the RESIZE can be restarted - unless INPLACE of course!
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Ray - although those with UniVerse experience know that, I think that many here do not, and would be stumped with error messages or problems after breaking a lengthy resize. Just to avoid that type of problem I recommend the create and then copy method.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... which is precisely what you get with a USING clause.