Error message to compile a routine

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Maria - it sounds like you have a permissions problem. Have you ensured that your groups and permissions are setup properly to support multiple users? For example, you need to uncomment the "umask" entry in your .rc startup script, typically called 'S99ds.rc' at this release, but its name and location can vary (slightly) with the version of UNIX. Also what group does your userid belong to? Hopefully the same primary group that your Administrator (dsadm) user was setup with.

I have a nice little document Ascential wrote on setting up DataStage for a multi-user environment, which I'd be glad to forward to you (or perhaps post it here), it details what needs done so you won't have problems like you are having.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
raju_chvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by raju_chvr »

Can you actually post it here if possible Craig. Even I need something like that as we are having plans to move our Server from Windows to UNIX.
hgalusha
Participant

Post by hgalusha »

Specifically, the compiled object code will be in your project home (s/b $dshome/../<project_name>) in a file called DSU.BP.O - check the permissions on this file in particular and therein may lie your answer.

As in the earlier post, setting up the umask in the ds.rc is important to get the permissions correct from the start.

Hope this helps.
vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vsi »

Hi,

I am sick and tired of Datastage Repository Interface Error. It always comes now and then.

Only way I know is to delete the job/routine, import it again and try.

Most of the times it doesnt work. I am using admin account so no permission issues I guess.

a) I have bunch of routines, just now recently changed the name of one of the routines. Since then none of the routines get compiled and I get the error

DataStage Repository Interface

Code: Select all

Unable to Open File DSU_BP
I went in datastage directory and checked to find the permission and they were

drwxrwxr-x
b) I am unable to delete a job from the project because of the error below

Cannot Open File RT_BP676.O
I went in the datastage directory to check for permissions and RT_BP676 doesnt exist at all.

How do I solve these problems. Apart from re-importing (as it is mostly failing)

is there anything like a restart on a PC :evil:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you thought that RT_BP676.O may not exist because you do not have permission to create it?

Are you in the group associated with the project directory? If not, the permissions string you posted indicate that you can not change the contents of the project directory.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vsi »

Have you thought that RT_BP676.O may not exist because you do not have permission to create it?
I was wondering why datastage is looking for a file which doesn't exists. What should be done in this scenario. The file isnt in the project directory and datastage says Unable to open RT_BP676.O
Are you in the group associated with the project directory? If not, the permissions string you posted indicate that you can not change the contents of the project directory
Yes, I am in the group associated with the project directory.

Unable to Open File DSU_BP
How do I over the above error, its not allowing me to write any routine.[/quote]

Will rebuilding repository index help in anyway??
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

It is a file which Datastage will insert the runtime informations. IF the file doesnt present, DataStage will create one, according to the Routine number.
If you were sure that, all you routines were not responding recently, check in other projects with the same user id/ diffrent user id.
You can give a try with Reindexing as well. If the problem persist with other projects with the same user, you may need to go through the permission settings of that user once again.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vsi »

By routines, not working, I meant they are not getting compiled. When the jobs are run, they are able to call the routines.

I checked with other projects and the routines are getting compiled very well. Only this project is giving trouble. Not only with routine, but also the jobs. Some of the jobs.

I have just rebuild repository indexes, but doesn't work
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Alright, before proceeding further, take a back of the whole project. Do a unix backup as well.
Try to import some of the jobs in other project and check, if that work.
If that works, you can try to to a COUNT on the project hash files to ensure that, they were in accsseble state without any error. Else you may need to try to FIX the UV FILE.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vsi »

Alright, before proceeding further, take a back of the whole project. Do a unix backup as well.
By Unix Backup, do u mean physical copy of entire project directory contents?
Try to import some of the jobs in other project and check, if that work.
It works in other project, when i import
If that works, you can try to to a COUNT on the project hash files to ensure that, they were in accsseble state without any error. Else you may need to try to FIX the UV FILE.

a How can I do the Count on the project hash files and how can I check whether they are in accessible state???
b) How can I fix the UV File???
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Hi vsi,

It sounds like you have some residual project corruption due to filling up your project directory (a prior thread of yours). Ken advised you to create a new project at that time. You should heed that advice now.

Mike
vsi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vsi »

Yes I am doing that right now :D.

But as well want to have old project name. For time being I will continue to work on a new project, then later on try to retain the old name, by removing the old project.

Thanks
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

vsi wrote:Yes I am doing that right now :D.

But as well want to have old project name. For time being I will continue to work on a new project, then later on try to retain the old name, by removing the old project.

Thanks
You got the safest approach. :D