AS400 Connectivity

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

aravindk
Participant

AS400 Connectivity

Post by aravindk »

Hello all,

We have Datastage on Unix and am trying to configure the AS400 connectivity on DataStage. For the past couple of weeks I was trying to configure the Data Direct ODBC for this purpose and finally I gave up.
(The last error message I got was <L805 program name not found in plan>).

Now I have looked into the DB2 Connect. I have configured DB2 Connect to access the AS400 and established a connection that looks OK. In DataStage, I try to import the Table Defnitions by choosing the Plug in option. I then select the server and click ok to downlod the Metadata. At this point, it takes forever until I click Ctl_Alt_Del.

Is this is how I should configure or what am I doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated!

TIA;
inter5566
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by inter5566 »

We are running 5.2r1 DS on UNIX and using DB2Connect to connect to AS400. You probably have everything setup correctly, because it takes us over an hour to import table defs. We have very limited use and no need to invest time in better performance. Just make sure you don't hit cancel or the wrong table, or you will have to sit through the import again.

HTH,
Steve
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Part of, or the main reason for gathering information about tables is that, in the OS/400 environment, every file is treated as a table. When you configure your client software, you can apply various filters such that, for example, only file names matching particular patters are accessed. Otherwise you're inspecting every single file on the machine (in its guise as a table)!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
aravindk
Participant

It works!

Post by aravindk »

Steve & Ray,

Thank you! It does work. I think I should take a refresher course in Patience.

Regards,
inter5566
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by inter5566 »

Ray,
Can you enlighten me on the filters and there location.

thanks,
Steve
aravindk
Participant

Post by aravindk »

Once you choose the download the Metadata from the AS400, first it downloads the all the files/tables (names only) from the systems. This took about 45 minutes on our server. After which it lists down all the tables with their qualifications. You can select the tables for which you want to download the definitions or there is a field "Name Contains", where you can give a pattern to filter on the table names.
Last edited by aravindk on Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The filters are set in the ODBC driver setup screen. Last time I played with this (some years back, and on Windows) it had 25 tabs! I believe it's been cleaned up a bit since.
Anyway, when you're adding (or configuring) the ODBC data source, once you've chosen the DB2 driver, this is the utility that opens at that point. Somewhere in there - I'm working entirely from memory - you can limit the tables whose names are accessible, based on various criteria.
For the UNIX-based ODBC driver I don't know where/how, but it ought to be documented, and recorded presumably in an ini file of some kind.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
peterbaun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by peterbaun »

Hi -

We are using DB2 Connect to access AS400 as well but are on a Windows platform - so don't know if the following applies to Unix. On Windows you can in DB2 connect configure the number of libraries - hence limit the number of tables - that should be scanned when you try to import metadata. I assume that a similar configuration must be possible on Unix.

There was (still is ...?) a bug in the DB2 plugin which appeared when you tried to limit the number of returned tables - the limitation works fine but the metadata for the different tables is wrong.

Regards
Peter
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I was wondering if the AS400 guys could restrict access of your user to certain directories it might help or make default starting directory to a certain point for that user.
then again, never tried it and don't know if it could fail the import process all together.
if it works you might, if needed, ask for several users to get better response time to your sources.

let us know if it helps

IHTH
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
aravindk
Participant

Post by aravindk »

The no of tabs on a ODBC has drastically come down ever since and now they have only 8 tabs with some 50 options!

In the Client Access ODBC, I can limit the libraries to be cataloged, to the default library list attached to the user id there by limiting the tables being downloaded. I am sure similar thing can be done through DB2 Connect too.

I figure that I will be downloading the Metadata just once, since the backend database structure doesnt change quite often. Any change in the user configuration like limiting the libraries etc involves lots of paper work around here. I would rather wait for that 45 minute download;-)
inter5566
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by inter5566 »

Thanks Ray, Peter, Aravin, and Roy. We have limited exposure to AS400, hence we conveniently allowed our DBA support team handle DB2Connect administration. So I will continue to use the long method as Aravin mentioned.

Steve