max size for varchar in DS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rexy
Participant

max size for varchar in DS

Post by rexy »

Hello,
I am loading data form an ASCII file.
In this file there is some queries from a LOG system.
I need to load the queries in an HASHED file in DS to make some elaboration.
When I load the file I open the HASHED file (view) but I can see only 1000 char for row.
I have define the column of the HASHED file varchar 3000.

Any idea how can I handle long text bigger than 1000 chars ?
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

There is no 1000 character limit in hash files. Hash files have no internal structure or form or datatypes (outside the necessity of a primary key). Therefore, metadata in DS jobs are merely a courtesy description.

Is your complaint that the GUI has only the ability to display N number of characters because of GUI limitations? Try an example job to write a column of data with more than 10K characters. Read the hash file and dump it to a sequential text file. You will see all 10K characters in the output.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

kcbland wrote:Is your complaint that the GUI has only the ability to display N number of characters because of GUI limitations.
It is a common practice for Windows GUI editors to limit their output to only 1024 characters per line, especially Visual Studio Editor.

However, there are editors that are capable of viewing more than that per line. Just have to look for them.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is a limit, but it's primarily influenced by the amount of memory you have. I have seen records in hashed files tens of MB in size. Large records are not efficiently stored in hashed files (needing multiple I/Os to access), but stored they can be.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.