unidata stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

phanee_k
Charter Member
Charter Member

unidata stage

Post by phanee_k »

Hi,
Whats the functionality of unidata stage.
Can we use unidata stage for lookup.
whats the procedure for using that in the jobs where i need to use unidata stage as a lookupstage.Can any one give the solution in detail or refer me where can i get in detail about this.

rgds
pk
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
IMHO, if you don't have this database, apart from the universe for DS internal use you might be better off not touching it.
it would be like using a DB's system table's space for your own use.
you don't know what you may cause, if you get my drift :wink: .

by the way the Table definition obtainment via that stage for DS internal tables doesn't quite work for all the "wise guys" reading this

IHTH
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

UniData is a database product, similar (to the user) to UniVerse. Both are now in the IBM stable.
The UniData stage is used to connect to the UniData database, much in the same way as the Oracle stage types are used to connect to the Oracle database, or the DB2 stage types are used to connect to DB2.
That is the only function of the UniData stage.
You can use it for lookups, but only if your lookup tables are tables in the UniData database.
From the tone of your question I suspect that such is not the case. 8)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ray.wurlod
Participant

A Short History Lesson

Post by ray.wurlod »

Once upon a time UniVerse and UniData were competing database products (the former made by a public company called VMARK Software, the latter by a private company called UniData).
DataStage was originally developed as a UniVerse application.
Meanwhile UniData had acquired PRISM (of PRISM Warehouse Executive), so both were in the DW world.
The companies merged in 1998 to become Ardent Software. Later this was acquired by Informix, another database vendor, seeking entree to the DW marketplace.
Subsequently (2000), Informix sold all its databases to IBM and reinvented itself as Ascential Software, using the purhase price as startup capital to fund the technology acquisitions that have enhanced its product suite since then.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
phanee_k
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by phanee_k »

Hi All,
Thanks for the information in detail and helping me.