Transaction Isolation Level

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bapajju
Participant

Transaction Isolation Level

Post by bapajju »

While using OCI stage I could find a tab for Transaction Isolation Level.There are three options in this viz. Read Committed, Serializable and Read Only. Can somebody explain what is the difference between these three options and in what exact situation these are useful.

Thanks
Bapajju
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

There is a lot of documention in DataBase theory about it, where you can find a whole bunch of information. It is important to know for operational systems. In a DWH environment it can be used, but doesn't fit so much the needs of mass Data processing.

Wolfgang
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Click on the 'Help' button in the OCI stage and find that field. The three options are explained fairly well there. From memory, they mostly center around whether changes to the base data you are querying will be seen by your (long running) query or not.

IIRC, they also have an impact on whether 'locks for update' are taken. When I'm sourcing from Oracle for 'delivery' elsewhere, I generally set it to 'Read Only'.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers