Massaging job parameters in an OLEDB Where clause

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

justlrng
Participant

Massaging job parameters in an OLEDB Where clause

Post by justlrng »

Hi,

I have a simple job to pull data into a sequential file from a SQL Server database using OLEDB. I want to restrict the records I am reading in by school year. We are passing in a 9 character school year ex. 2001/2002 but the database table uses a 4 digit school year ex. 2002. Therefore I need to grab just the last 4 characters of the 9 character string to do my comparison. So my statement in the Selection pane reads as:
sch_yr = RIGHT(#PARAM_1#,4)
where sch_yr is the column from the database and PARAM_1 is the 9 character school year. Although, the job compiles and runs, it is not returning any rows.

Can I manipulate job parameters coming into an OLEDB stage in the Where clause? If so, what is wrong with the above statement?

Thanks
trobinson
Participant

Post by trobinson »

Is RIGHT() a SQL Server function? The SQL you are generating in the ODBC stage is sent to to be executed on the database therefore it must be in the database's format. Parameters are the only exception I know of. One thing you could do is define the school year as a key column and use the RIGHT function in a derivation. Because it is a key column the where clause would be generated for you.
justlrng
Participant

Post by justlrng »

RIGHT is a SQL Server function. The reason I want to do it in the OLEDB stage is to reduce the number of rows being read in, in this case about 600,000 versus 6.5 million.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Your original code:

Code: Select all

sch_yr = RIGHT(#PARAM_1#,4) 
Shouldn't it have quotes, as it is a string value?

sch_yr = RIGHT('#PARAM_1#',4) 

If you were typing this in as a literal, it would look like this:

sch_yr = RIGHT('2001/2002',4) 
so try it with quotes.

Just a guess.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
justlrng
Participant

Post by justlrng »

Hi Ken,

I tried using single quotes and double quotes and neither works. In fact the job fails as "OLE DB provider error: The command contained one or more errors."
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Okay, reverse that, are you comparing a numeric sch_yr to a string value, and that's where the problem lies? Just a guess.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
justlrng
Participant

Post by justlrng »

kcbland wrote:Okay, reverse that, are you comparing a numeric sch_yr to a string value, and that's where the problem lies? Just a guess.
I've tried using the following code to convert the string to an integer but I still get 0 rows returned.

sch_yr = CONVERT(SMALLINT,RIGHT(#PARAM_1#,4))
justlrng
Participant

Post by justlrng »

Okay, never mind. One of the guys figured it out over here. In the Output Action of the Output tab of the OLEDB stage - "Direct Read" must be selected. After that, everything runs fine.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and into looking into this problem. :D
justlrng
Participant

Post by justlrng »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Okay, I spoke a little too soon. The Direct read does not seem to pass parameters back to the database. So, basically I still need help!
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Post by shawn_ramsey »

justlrng wrote::oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Okay, I spoke a little too soon. The Direct read does not seem to pass parameters back to the database. So, basically I still need help!
Since the errors coming via the oledb stage can be misleading (it does not return the error coming from SQL Server) I would recommend that you turn on the SQL Profiler and watch for the errors. This has been the only way that we have been able to track down these errors. Once you have the real SQL Server error it is a lot easier to track down the problem.
Shawn Ramsey

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams
justlrng
Participant

Post by justlrng »

Well, we finally figured it out with the help of the profiler. single quotes are required so that the code will be:
sch_yr = RIGHT('#Param_1#',4)

I thought we had tried everything including single and double quotes but evidently not.

Thanks again.
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Post by shawn_ramsey »

justlrng wrote:Well, we finally figured it out with the help of the profiler. single quotes are required so that the code will be:
sch_yr = RIGHT('#Param_1#',4)

I thought we had tried everything including single and double quotes but evidently not.

Thanks again.
If Ascential would pass the real error messages back in the OLEDB and SQL Bulk stages we could avoid having to use profiler. :D
Shawn Ramsey

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams