DB2 Connect

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ewartpm
Participant

DB2 Connect

Post by ewartpm »

Does anyone know or has anyone experienced connection problems to DB2 on an AS400 where DataStage and Sql Server 2000 share the same box. I was told that DB2 connect would not work in the above scenario.

As purchasing another box is not an option, how what would an alternative be to connecting to DB2.

Many thanks.
Mark Ewart-Phipps
Centerfield Software (Pty) Ltd
Tel +27 11 462 7003
Fax +27 11 462 7392
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
IMHO, this issue if for the IBM support, which you AS400 people should have.
last time I used this configuration (2 or 3 years ago, well when DS 4.2 was fairly new) db2connect gave poor performance and we used Client Access Express.
if I'm not mistaken back then the site's AS400 manager had seen the components db2connect was using and said forget it, then again maybe things chainged (long time has passed).

there might be other options, by now, for connectivity,
I think there are others here that might help.

IHTH
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
1stpoint
Participant

Post by 1stpoint »

Does anyone know or has anyone experienced connection problems to DB2 on an AS400 where DataStage and Sql Server 2000 share the same box. I was told that DB2 connect would not work in the above scenario.
You can always use the ODBC Drivers supplied by Client Access. This does work with SQL Server. Are thinking about using DTS or DataStage?
ewartpm
Participant

DB2 Connect

Post by ewartpm »

We are currently using DataStage and connecting to DB2 via Sql Server. The consultants we have contracted to do a health check on the application have suggested using the DB2 stage and connecting directly to DB2, but because DataStage shares the same box as Sql Server 2000 (which is the target database), they say that DB2 connect will not work. Using ODBC to DB2 would also be too slow.

From looking at previous postings about DB2, it seems that the DB2 client software must reside on the server with DataStage, hence my question about an alternative. The ODBC drivers you mention, how are they different from the standard ODBC?
Mark Ewart-Phipps
Tel +27 11 462 7003
Fax +27 11 462 7392
ewartpm
Participant

DB2 Connect

Post by ewartpm »

Finally read the db2.pdf. It states that version 6.1 or later of DB2 Universal database client software must be installed on the DataStage server when using DataStage 6.x.

It then goes on to mention that Client Application Enablers (CAE's) are required if DB2 source is on an AS400.

:oops: Excuse my ignorance, but what do they mean by Client Application Enablers?
Mark Ewart-Phipps
Tel +27 11 462 7003
Fax +27 11 462 7392
phc9741
Participant

Re: DB2 Connect

Post by phc9741 »

This shouldn't be a problem. DB2 Connect to an AS/400 via the DB2 plugin and output to SQL Server with the ODBC stage shouldn't be a problem. The biggest problem I had was configuring DB2 Connect to the AS/400 was setting the CurrentPackageSet and schema list. If you don't limit the result from the DB2 catalog then you'll have to wait a long time for the DB2 plugin to provide you a list of tables on DB2.

ewartpm wrote:Finally read the db2.pdf. It states that version 6.1 or later of DB2 Universal database client software must be installed on the DataStage server when using DataStage 6.x.

It then goes on to mention that Client Application Enablers (CAE's) are required if DB2 source is on an AS400.

:oops: Excuse my ignorance, but what do they mean by Client Application Enablers?
phc9741
Participant

Re: DB2 Connect

Post by phc9741 »

This shouldn't be a problem. DB2 Connect to an AS/400 via the DB2 plugin and output to SQL Server with the ODBC stage shouldn't be a problem. The biggest problem I had was configuring DB2 Connect to the AS/400 was setting the CurrentPackageSet and schema list. If you don't limit the result from the DB2 catalog then you'll have to wait a long time for the DB2 plugin to provide you a list of tables on DB2.

ewartpm wrote:Finally read the db2.pdf. It states that version 6.1 or later of DB2 Universal database client software must be installed on the DataStage server when using DataStage 6.x.

roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
did you try the data direct odbc driver? (hmm on second thought is it ment for AS400 db2???)
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
peterbaun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by peterbaun »

Hi Mark,

We have been running this setup in our test-environment for quite a while (SQL Server and DB2 Connect residing on the same machine) - and there hasn't been any connection problems due to this combination.

Do remember to limit the schemalist as phc9741 mention otherwise it will take forever to import metadata. There has previously been other threads regarding this issue.

Regards
Peter