Can lookup key be a range

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yiminghu
Participant

Can lookup key be a range

Post by yiminghu »

Hi All,

I have a question regarding to lookup. In our table, there is a field called visit_date, if the visit_date falls into certain range which is defined in another talbe, that record is treated as valid one otherwise, that is invalid one.

I don't know how to implement this as lookup?

Thanks,

Yiming
Teej
Participant

Re: Can lookup key be a range

Post by Teej »

yiminghu wrote:Hi All,

I have a question regarding to lookup. In our table, there is a field called visit_date, if the visit_date falls into certain range which is defined in another talbe, that record is treated as valid one otherwise, that is invalid one.

I don't know how to implement this as lookup?
Use a constraint.

One possible idea to be able to do that is to create a dummy field to automatically join the two links via a lookup. There, you have the capability to use the constraint to set the range.

I am quite sure others will chime in with other solutions that would perform better.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

It depends on what type of lookup stage you are going to use:

OCI/ODBC: You have to define the appropriate SQL statement in the stage. You will have to supply the appropriate columns in the key expressions.

Hash file: Not without some work. Unless performance is an issue, this solution is highly customized, but will yield the best results.

UV/ODBC: You will be able to use a hash file, but this SQL interface to the hash file will not be as efficient as the hash file stage. It will allow you to leverage a pre-existing hash file. You will set it up similiar to the OCI/ODBC stage.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
sdevashis
Participant

Easier Method

Post by sdevashis »

HI,
I am new to Datastage, but I had come across this. A better way of solving your problem is to write a routine taking dates as two arguments and return you the category_key directly. So you dont need to go into the lookup stuff at all. HOWEVER this method will make the stuff hard coded.

Hope this solves this probelm. :arrow:
/*Devashis*/
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

kcbland wrote:It depends on what type of lookup stage you are going to use:

OCI/ODBC: You have to define the appropriate SQL statement in the stage. You will have to supply the appropriate columns in the key expressions.

Hash file: Not without some work. Unless performance is an issue, this solution is highly customized, but will yield the best results.

UV/ODBC: You will be able to use a hash file, but this SQL interface to the hash file will not be as efficient as the hash file stage. It will allow you to leverage a pre-existing hash file. You will set it up similiar to the OCI/ODBC stage.
:idea: The OCI/UV/ODBC solutions will benefit greatly from the column(s) on which the BETWEEN constraint is performed being indexed.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.