How many projects needed for one ETL Stream

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yiminghu
Participant

How many projects needed for one ETL Stream

Post by yiminghu »

Hi,

My company is just starting to use Datastage to build ETL. And we have a debate regarding to how many projects you need for constructin one ETL stream.

Do you put all extrating, transformation, and loading jobs in one project ( but separated them into different categories), or you spearate them into different projects. If you separate them into different projects, how do you schedule them accross the projects? I mean if the last job in loading project finishes, how do you start the first job in transformation project right away.

Thanks,

Yiming
1stpoint
Participant

Recommendation

Post by 1stpoint »

Do you put all extrating, transformation, and loading jobs in one project ( but separated them into different categories), or you spearate them into different projects. If you separate them into different projects, how do you schedule them accross the projects? I mean if the last job in loading project finishes, how do you start the first job in transformation project right away.
In short, I recommend that you have a 'development' and a 'production' project and yes you put all the ETL jobs in that project. If different subject areas are involved you can create Categories/Folders within the project. This is a much more manageable environment.

I recommend using multiple projects when:
* Other departments with developers are using DataStage.

* The ETL processes are completely disparate, in that they
server entirely separate functional area.

As your development environment grows, you may decide to break it up into different projects.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Yiming

You can do it from a shell script with dsjob. Do a search. The dsjob command can run jobs in different projects and even on different servers. This is definitely not recommended. 1stpoint use of folders are a better way to handle this but it can be done if you have to do it that way.

Kim.
Mamu Kim
Teej
Participant

Re: How many projects needed for one ETL Stream

Post by Teej »

I would recommend at LEAST three separate projects for each set of client/project/field.

One for Development. One for QA. One for Production.

We took it a step further and have one for UAT - testing with full dataset.

We have a set of projects for a specific client's ODS process, and another set for the same client's DWH process.

Whatever you decide, STICK TO IT. Don't change naming conventions because it is a pain in the butt as an administrator to keep things consistent.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).