Using of '~' (Unix Home directory) instead of hardcoding

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ken

Good point. That is another good reason to use Parameter Manager. It can default a parameter in every job where that parameter appears. That way if you have to run one job manually then it points to the correct path.

Kim.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Don't forget that you can set run-time parameter defaults that are different to the design-time defaults, using Director (Job > Set Defaults).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
seell
Participant

Post by seell »

Just to clarify my original posting :

I have hardcoded a directory in my DS job parameter
/u01/ascential/DataStage/Projects/Data/dsdvstud/

The requirement is to remove the 'hardcoding'
by using something of the form

~/DataStage/Projects/Data/dsdvstud/

where ~ is the unix home directory for Datastage jobs;

Thank you for all response.
Regards
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

I was attempting to keep my mouth shut about the requirements, but I have to speak up on this:

In our company, we utilizes links. But to reach those links, we do not use the ~ signs. We reference all of our links under the following path:

/usr/users/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/

We do not utilize the /usr path for ANY actual file storage (except configuration files, especially since DataStage is FAR pickier on 6.0.1 with regards to $APT_CONFIG_FILES path definitions). The /usr path is usually allocated far too little of space for actual data storage (whether it is read or write).

Instead of worrying about the ~ sign, just say "/usr/users" and supply the username. Of course, it's different for some unix boxes, such as Linux - "/home" comes to mind. Instead of mindlessly following what someone may say, seriously ask them what the benefits are of using "~" instead of "/usr/users". Sometimes even with good intentions, a careless requirement only lock you into a corner you don't want to be in.

-T.J.

P.S. I sure hope you are not storing data on the same mountpoint as your actual project folders. A careless mistake here and there could cause serious trouble to occurs. Best to use different mountpoint, and different path structure. Mistakes will happens. Minimize the risk of mistakes causing dangerous consequences.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).