Permissions to schedule a job as a non administrator user

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

peterbaun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Permissions to schedule a job as a non administrator user

Post by peterbaun »

Hi -

Thought this issue was pretty straight forward but aparantly not - I am setting up a new production server.

I have created a user - dsusr. This user - dsusr is a member of a new group DSGroup.

dsusr does NOT have administrator rights - and should not have that.

dsusr has been configured in the DS Administrator to be a DataStage developer. In DS administrator under the schedule tab I have entered Administrator as the user who should run the schedule DS Jobs.

Here comes the issue - I want to schedule a job and have logged on to DS Director as dsusr. However when I try to schedule a job I get an error message saying that I don't have the permission to do that (Error adding to schedule. Access is denied).

What is required for the dsusr to be able to schedule DS Jobs ? Giving dsusr administrator rights should not be the solution (that will work of course).

Thanks for any input.

Regards
Peter
jseclen
Participant

Re: Permissions to schedule a job as a non administrator use

Post by jseclen »

Hi Peter

If the user belongs to a group defined as Developer you dont have be problems.

Check if you have the adequate permissions to invoke the at and cron commands in UNIX.
Saludos,

Miguel Seclén
Lima - Peru
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In the Administrator client you can define a user ID for running scheduled jobs. You've made this user Administrator. What happens if you make this user dsuser?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
peterbaun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by peterbaun »

ray.wurlod wrote:In the Administrator client you can define a user ID for running scheduled jobs. You've made this user Administrator. What happens if you make this user dsuser?

Had a small typo in the above - I have ofcourse assigned developer rights to DSGroup (and not dsusr).

Already tried your suggestion and it works fine. Did not realize that it only specifies the user RUNNING the jobs - the user scheduling the job is still the user that you log on to Director with.

So that user must have priviledges to schedule jobs. As far as I have found out only administrator users are allowed to do schedule jobs hence I cannot have a DataStage user that needs to schedule jobs that doesn't have administrator permissions.

Is that really true - I would have thought that this would be a very common way of setting up a production server. Have a user who can't do anything else than develop, schedule and run datastage jobs. How have other people set this up - just giving the DataStage user administrator rights ??
peterbaun
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by peterbaun »

ray.wurlod wrote:In the Administrator client you can define a user ID for running scheduled jobs. You've made this user Administrator. What happens if you make this user dsuser?

Had a small typo in the above - I have ofcourse assigned developer rights to DSGroup (and not dsusr).

- sorry - new correction -
Already tried your suggestion and it still cannot schedule jobs.

Did not realize that it only specifies the user RUNNING the jobs - the user scheduling the job is still the user that you log on to Director with.

So that user must have priviledges to schedule jobs. As far as I have found out only administrator users are allowed to do schedule jobs hence I cannot have a DataStage user that needs to schedule jobs that doesn't have administrator permissions.

Is that really true - I would have thought that this would be a very common way of setting up a production server. Have a user who can't do anything else than develop, schedule and run datastage jobs. How have other people set this up - just giving the DataStage user administrator rights ??
cecilia
Participant

Post by cecilia »

Hi Peter
Late, but I want to share with you Ascential support reply to my question (case #379252) of alternatives to this restriction in DS 7 with Windows 2000 (for Windows NT Microsoft provide a solution).

No change has been made to the product so unless Windows 2000 has lifted the restriction then nothing has changed. The restriction is as you point out imposed by Microsoft on the scheduling interface the product uses.

We could enhance the product to use the newer task scheduling process, however that would require a significant amount of development and has to be considered in the light of other desirable enhancements.

Regards, Cecilia