Interesting issue

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JDionne
Participant

Interesting issue

Post by JDionne »

I have a job that is looking for a file to start. The problem is that if the file is still being writen when it starts looking the job aborts. I know there is an easy way to have a dos batch file test to see if the file is finished being writen and then it can call a comand to start a job...I do this all the time using SQL server and DTS jobs, but we are migrating off of SQL server and I need similar functionality in DS. I dont mind having a Batch file sniff for the job and then kick off a DS job...the question that I have is what would the code to start the DS job look like?
Jim
Sure I need help....But who dosent?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Server Job Developers Guide - look for the "Command Line Interface" section. Typically, Chapter 14 I believe. Spells out the syntax and usage of the "dsjob" command which is what you'll need in your batch to launch a DataStage job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

chulett wrote:Server Job Developers Guide - look for the "Command Line Interface" section. Typically, Chapter 14 I believe. Spells out the syntax and usage of the "dsjob" command which is what you'll need in your batch to launch a DataStage job.
Thanx thats what I needed
Jim
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The command line interface to running jobs is "dsjob". This executable is heavily discussed on this forum. Search for it and you'll get a zillion hits. Think of it has a command line Director: you can start, stop, and reset jobs. You can pull out job log information and all kinds of goodies.

This program is probably the best way to have your jobs initiated by a third-party piece of software, such as an enterprise scheduler.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

kcbland wrote:The command line interface to running jobs is "dsjob". This executable is heavily discussed on this forum. Search for it and you'll get a zillion hits. Think of it has a command line Director: you can start, stop, and reset jobs. You can pull out job log information and all kinds of goodies.

This program is probably the best way to have your jobs initiated by a third-party piece of software, such as an enterprise scheduler.
from what I read about it in the online manual it apears that I will need two lines of code..One to log on and one to run the job ie

dsjob -server Scrbbususcnc04 -user condji -password ********
dsjob -run Development\WQASImport

there dont seem to be any good examples...though i have just browsed it over. Am I correct in my thinking?
Jim
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Nope, one "line" does everything - logon, run, reset - whatever. Just string all the keywords together.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

so
dsjob -server Scrbbususcnc04 -user condji -password ******** -run Development\WQASImport

is the line of code that I need to use

Thanx for the help
Jim
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Check out the post I just put up: Shell script to start a job using dsjob
Kenneth Bland

JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

kcbland wrote:Check out the post I just put up: Shell script to start a job using dsjob
I did and it looks very indept...but its way over my head right now. I have it bookmarked so that one day Ill be able to get back to it and understand what it is doing in totality.
Jim
Rahul
Participant

Post by Rahul »

Why do you do all these ? Heres a simple trick.

Let your source process create a control file/ Indicator file as soon the data is written completely to the datafile. Let your process keep looking for the control/indicator file and once this file appears, it implies that data has been completely written to the source datafile and now its ready to be run.

Ex. If data is being written to file "Sourcedata.dat" then create another file "SourceCntlFile" which just would have a line. Now let your process look for this file "SourceCntFile" as this is created after Sourcedata.dat.

This should fix your problem of starting your process when source file is getting created.

Rahul
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

Rahul wrote:Why do you do all these ? Heres a simple trick.

Let your source process create a control file/ Indicator file as soon the data is written completely to the datafile. Let your process keep looking for the control/indicator file and once this file appears, it implies that data has been completely written to the source datafile and now its ready to be run.

Ex. If data is being written to file "Sourcedata.dat" then create another file "SourceCntlFile" which just would have a line. Now let your process look for this file "SourceCntFile" as this is created after Sourcedata.dat.

This should fix your problem of starting your process when source file is getting created.

Rahul
I dont controle the source process...I can not create the triger file
Jim
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

There's no way to know if an inbound file is complete, no matter what type of sender, without the sender acknowledging the file transfer is complete.

The previously posted "ready" file approach works really well. Another approach is to create the file under a restricted set of permissions and chmod when complete. This allows the "instantaneous" appearance of a complete file.

I see no alternative that does not involve changing the sending process, or the process that controls the sending process. Somehow you need to know it's done sending, otherwise, there could be buffered data in the pipeline you don't see yet. Sampling the file and resampling a few minutes later for no changes is an unreliable way of determining if the file transfer is complete. Again, network congestion, processing bottlenecks, and buffering could be delaying the arrival of the data.

Your's is a classic problem solved many times over with standard solutions. This is a lesson learned a long time ago, yet apparently someone upstream of you was skipping school. :(
Kenneth Bland

JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

kcbland wrote:There's no way to know if an inbound file is complete, no matter what type of sender, without the sender acknowledging the file transfer is complete.

The previously posted "ready" file approach works really well. Another approach is to create the file under a restricted set of permissions and chmod when complete. This allows the "instantaneous" appearance of a complete file.

I see no alternative that does not involve changing the sending process, or the process that controls the sending process. Somehow you need to know it's done sending, otherwise, there could be buffered data in the pipeline you don't see yet. Sampling the file and resampling a few minutes later for no changes is an unreliable way of determining if the file transfer is complete. Again, network congestion, processing bottlenecks, and buffering could be delaying the arrival of the data.

Your's is a classic problem solved many times over with standard solutions. This is a lesson learned a long time ago, yet apparently someone upstream of you was skipping school. :(
to remidy my upsteam friends ill just write a simple batch file that tries to rename the file and if it cant it will go into a loop/sleep state. once it can rename the file it will then rename it again to the file that the ds job needs and then kick of the ds job. its simple, archaic but well suited for my needs. It seems to be the best way for what I have to do.
Thanx for all the help guys its invaluable
Jim
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

The way control m and other similar products work is they check the file size wait and check it again. If it quits growing then it is complete.

Kim.
Mamu Kim
JDionne
Participant

Post by JDionne »

kduke wrote:The way control m and other similar products work is they check the file size wait and check it again. If it quits growing then it is complete.

Kim.
Control M is unix based isnt it?
Jim