KeyMgtKeyNextValue transform

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

justlrng
Participant

KeyMgtKeyNextValue transform

Post by justlrng »

I am trying to find a way to duplicate the identity function in SQL. I have found the KeyMgt transforms but I have been unable to find documentation on these transforms. I do know that the transform KeyMgtKeyNextValue will generate sequential numbers but how to use this transform exactly and what literal string I should give it have been guesswork.
kcbland
Participant

Re: KeyMgtKeyNextValue transform

Post by kcbland »

The identify functionality is a means to generate a unique identifier for each row. What you are talking about is a surrogate key assignment functionality. Your question, while seemingly easy, can invoke a theoretical, spiritual, and philosophical debate.

If you simply want an ever increasing unique identifier, then all you need to do is create a "seed" process (can be a job, script, whatever) that simply selects the maximum value currently in use in the table and puts that output somewhere (DS hash file, sequential text file, etc). Then, during transformation process you simply use that value as a seed to a running variable and keep incrementing it every time you want the next value.

However, you have not stated how you want to use it in a complete sense. Do you need to do a natural key lookup to see if the row is already in the target table, then use currently assigned surrogate key (your identity assigned column) else create the next value. This activity is typical of a data warehouse environment. In this case, the process is almost the same as above, except now you have to interrogate the target to see if a row is already assigned a value.

At this point, I'm going to recommend that you pursue Ascential's training programs, as this is covered not only in the elementary training course, but very much in depth in their methodology course. It is available for e-learning, as well as contains many working examples that will better situate you for this type of design.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Alternatives, depending on the target database server's capabilities, include using a sequence in the database (for example, in Oracle, SEQNAME.NEXTVAL) or using a serial (auto-incrementing integer) data type for the key column.
justlrng
Participant

Re: KeyMgtKeyNextValue transform

Post by justlrng »

justlrng wrote:I am trying to find a way to duplicate the identity function in SQL. I have found the KeyMgt transforms but I have been unable to find documentation on these transforms. I do know that the transform KeyMgtKeyNextValue will generate sequential numbers but how to use this transform exactly and what literal string I should give it have been guesswork.
Thanks for answering my question. I have taken the Ascential training and am aware of using lookup tables to get the next value. I noticed the KeyMgtKeyNextValue transform in Vers. 7 but there is very little documentation and was wondering if this was Ascential's way of introducing key generation functionality within DataStage.
mfortuna
Participant

Post by mfortuna »

as ray mentioned, the SEQNAME.NEXTVAL is a great way to replace the IDENTITY function in SQL, keeping the persistence in the DB. you probably only want to use the KeyMgtKeyNextValue if you specifically want to move the persistence out of the database for use by multiple datasources, as Ken describes. It uses Common storage to hold the Key value, and you should only use this if you are familiar with clearing, deleting, creating common variables (do a help on "common" from datastage).

The function creates a type 2 hash file called "SDKSequences" in your datastage project to store the "last Value", using the argument as the name of the Key of the file. It then post-increments the number by 1 and writes it back to the common variable. To use it, simply call the function inside a derivation in the transform: if the comman variable is not created, it will create it. To reset the value, you need to delete the SDKSequences file from your project.

There are several methods for calling NEXTVAL. Here are some suggestions in order of my personal preference:

1. Call NEXTVAL as a subselect in the Attribute derivation from the source stage column derivations
2. Call Nextval in a separate stage/page which is referenced in the Xform: The stage should not contain a key value to "lookup", resulting in a Nextval call for evey input stream record, regardless if the value is used in the output link of the Xform
3. use @NULL as the derivation for the target field, calling Nextval in a userdefined insert statement of the target stage, wraping the call in an NVL or isnull function: NVL(:1, SEQNAME.NEXTVAL)
4. write a routine to exec a SQL command to call NEXTVAL

Send me an email if you have more specific questions offline.
Michael Fortuna
Solutions Architect
mobile: 781.316-5718
mailto: michaelfortuna696@hotmail.com
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

I would avoid using the routine KeyMgtKeyNextValue if you are going to be using a instantiated jobs (think of Agent Smith from Matrix 2, more me) to tackle a transformation. Because this routine uses internal BASIC commands that read-lock the hash file maintaining the last value assigned, all of your jobs will stall as one job hogs the lock table.

What I have done is accept gaps in surrogate key sequencing (remember: "Gaps are okay" spake Kimball, "because surrogate keys should be meaningless") Anyway, what I do is use a modified version that only locks the row long enough to grab a handfull of keys, say 10000 values, and write back a value 10000 greater. The job will work off that internal list, safe in the knowledge that no one else will be assigning in that rate. This means another instantiated clone (Agent Smith) will start from that value+10000 and add 10000 to it and use that range. Once the 10000 keys are exhausted, it will go get some more.

Usage: AssignSkeyParallel("TABLENAME", "BLOCKSIZE", "INCREMENTBY")

Set the hash file name to whatever you want, and make sure you seed the hash file before each run with the current max values on the tables.

Code: Select all

COMMON /SURRKEYLastSurrogateKey/ LastSurrogateKeyUsed, PresizeChunk, KeysToUse, Initialized, F.FILE

FunctionName = "AssignSkeyParallel"
      LastSurrogateKeyFile = "TABLE.COUNT"

If Initialized # "INITIALIZED" OR KeysToUse = 0 Then
         If Initialized # "INITIALIZED" Then
            Call DSLogInfo("Initializing", FunctionName)
            OpenFailed = @TRUE
            OPEN LastSurrogateKeyFile TO F.FILE Then
               OpenFailed = @FALSE
            End Else
               TCL = "CREATE.FILE ":LastSurrogateKeyFile:" DYNAMIC"
               Call DSLogInfo("TCL: ":TCL, FunctionName)
               Call DSExecute("TCL", TCL, ScreenOutput, SystemReturnCode)
               Call DSLogInfo(ScreenOutput, FunctionName)
               OPEN LastSurrogateKeyFile TO F.FILE Then
                  OpenFailed = @FALSE
               End
            End
            If OpenFailed Then
               Call DSLogFatal("Unable to open/create the file ":LastSurrogateKeyFile, FunctionName)
            End
            Initialized = "INITIALIZED"
            Call DSLogInfo("Initialization finished", FunctionName)
         End

TableName = UPCASE(TRIM(Arg1))
         PresizeChunk = TRIM(Arg2)
         If PresizeChunk = "" Then PresizeChunk = 5000

Call DSLogInfo("Retrieving next surrogate key for ":TableName, FunctionName)

RecordLocked = @FALSE
         TimeOut = 60 * 5                ; * 60 seconds * 5 minutes
         SleepPulse = 15
         Loop
            ReadU row From F.FILE,TableName LOCKED
               TimeOut -= 1
               Sleep 1
               SleepPulse -= 1
               If SleepPulse = 0 Then
                  Call DSLogInfo("Waiting on last surrogate key for ":TableName, FunctionName)
                  SleepPulse = 15
               End
               RecordLocked = @TRUE
            End Then
               RecordLocked= @FALSE
               CONVERT '"' TO '' IN row
            End Else
               RecordLocked = @FALSE
               row = ""
               row<1> = 0
            End
            LastSurrogateKeyUsed = row<1>
         Until TimeOut = 0 OR NOT(RecordLocked) Do Repeat

If TimeOut > 0 Then
            Call DSLogInfo("Read last surrogate key ":LastSurrogateKeyUsed:" for ":TableName, FunctionName)
            NewLastSurrogateKeyUsed = LastSurrogateKeyUsed + PresizeChunk
            KeysToUse = PresizeChunk
            row<1> = NewLastSurrogateKeyUsed
            WRITE row ON F.FILE,TableName

LastSurrogateKeyUsed = LastSurrogateKeyUsed + Arg3
            KeysToUse = PresizeChunk - Arg3
            Ans = LastSurrogateKeyUsed
         End Else
            Call DSLogFatal("Unable to obtain lock on ":LastSurrogateKeyFile:" record ":TableName, FunctionName)
         End
      End Else
* Increment the last surrogate key used
         LastSurrogateKeyUsed = LastSurrogateKeyUsed + Arg3
         KeysToUse -= Arg3
         Ans = LastSurrogateKeyUsed
      End
Good luck!
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
justlrng
Participant

Post by justlrng »

Thanks for the info on KeyMgtKeyNextValue. Also, Thanks for the code on generating surrogate keys. It works great :D