FTPing a zip file and FTPing multiple files

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pkothana
Participant

Post by pkothana »

Hi,
I have to FTP a zip file. I was wondering if it is possible through FTP Stage? Pls help me out in this regard.
Also can we FTP multiple files through FTP stage?
This question might be asked previously. Sorry if I'm duplicating the same as I'm new to Data Stage.

Thanks & Regards
Pinkesh
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The FTP stage is like an ODBC driver to a remote file. It allows you to establish a connection to a file and read it from afar, like a table. It returns rows and columns. It can connect to one and only one file.

The FTP stage is not a file mover, nor is it a graphical WYSIWYG drag-n-drop Explorer tool. If you have the need to move files around, use a shell script combined with FTP. You do have a before and after telnet command, where you could decompress and compress your file.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
pkothana
Participant

Post by pkothana »

Thanks for your Prompt Response Ken.
Actually in the final output I am getting a sequential file. I have to zip this file and FTP it to desired location.
Is it possible to do it through FTP stage? Can we compress the sequential file in the Telnet Before Command and the FTP it?
Appreciate your kind help.

Thanks for your time.

Regards
Pinkesh
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

DataStage will stream rows with columns to the FTP stage, which creates the file on the remote side. You will incur all network overhead on uncompressed data as it streams. You would have to use an after telnet command to compress it remotely.

You're better served using a sequential file stage locally on the DataStage server. You could use a script wrapper to zip and then FTP the file where you want.
Kenneth Bland

pkothana
Participant

Post by pkothana »

Thanks for your time Ken.
Actually I'm new to Data Stage. It will be of great help if you can elaborate on script wrapper. How can i use that? And how to do FTP after that? will it be through some shell script?

Best Regards

Pinkesh
bigpoppa
Participant

Post by bigpoppa »

I thought there was a PX-specific FTP stage that can take care of this problem. You may want to contact your DS rep and ask for the Parallel FTP stage. It might not be offered in the standard release, but Ascential's engineering/professional services might be able to find it.

- BP
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

pkothana wrote:Thanks for your time Ken.
Actually I'm new to Data Stage. It will be of great help if you can elaborate on script wrapper. How can i use that? And how to do FTP after that? will it be through some shell script?

Best Regards

Pinkesh
Yes, I meant write a generic script (perl, ksh, bsh, whatever) that does what you want. I'd call it a push script for zipping and delivering file to a target.
Kenneth Bland