Are multiple versions of DS Client possable?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Neil C
Participant

Are multiple versions of DS Client possable?

Post by Neil C »

Is it possible to run multiple version of DataStage client on a Win2K machine? I have installed DataStage 6.0 over 4.2 and get the RCP not started message when trying to run 4.2. Version 6.0 runs fine (as you would expect).

Failed to connect to host: neon, project: apmptst
(The connection was refused or the RPC daemon is not running (81016))

Looking at the files installed into C:\Ascential|DataStage\…. by the 6.0 install, I would be surprised if this is possible, but I thought I would ask the question anyway.

TIA,
Neil Courtney
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Hi Neil.

Alas, the answer is an unqualified NO.

The message about the RPC not being started is returned from the server. Even though you're connecting (trying to connect!) to different servers, the problem is that the ActiveX control that exposes objects used by DataStage clients in version 6.0 is incompatible with 4.2 server.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

I just saw Ray's post. Nevermind! I'm obviously wrong.

Tony

Neal,

I've never tried it and can't remember how the installer works, but if you tell the two installers to install to different directories, it might work.

Good Luck,
Tony
Neil C
Participant

Post by Neil C »

Wow, this forum is quick! Thanks Ray. I did not want to have two PCs on my desk, but I have the need now. Cheers. (and some amunition to get us off 4.2...).
Neil C
Participant

Post by Neil C »

thanks Tony. I did try this, and the C:\Program Files\DataStage... files happily go into their own directory. It is the C:\Ascential\DataStage... files that you don't have any control over.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

There is a product from Duke Consulting that is on the products page of www.datastagexchange.com which provides DataStage Director functionality through a browser. This might let you run and review 4.2 jobs through the browser while you have a version 6.0 client installed. I don't know if it is compatible with 4.2.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I could have sworn that when attending a Dog & Pony show for 'Twister' back in June, they said one of the new features for 7.0 was the ability to have more than one version of the client loaded on the same machine at the same time.

Is this not true? I know this doesn't help Neil, but just curious.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

I thought I heard that you can have a version 7 DataStage server running on the same machine as an earlier version server. Not the same thing, of course :D

Tony
degraciavg
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Are multiple versions of DS Client possable?

Post by degraciavg »

This is on the AIX version of DS...

If I remember it correctly, v4.x and below used to call the rpc daemon/engine as uvrpc which subsequently became dsrpc from v5 onwards.

I thought my friend, Felix (he did the installation/upgrade) mentioned that we can actually use v4.2 and 6.0 because of the diff rpc daemons... kind of fuzzy now... but I didn't see the need to maintain both versions anyway so I was rather oblivious to that fact... :? :)

vladimir
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

vladimir

It is possible with a product called VMware. It allows you to another version on Windows. You can also run linux under Windows this way. They run in a window under the normal Windows. It will create a big file that holds all the sub OS filkes. It works very well and does not require a reboot or anything.

Kim.
Mamu Kim
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

On the DataStage 7.0 client CD is an unsupported utility called ClientSwitcher and according to the readme:
DSMakeCurVersion Utility ReadMe
===============================
24th June 2003

This utility allows you to switch between different versions of the DataStage Clients that are installed on a single machine. Only one version of the DataStage Clients can be run at any one time.

3) To switch to a given DataStage Client version execute the DSMakeCurVersion.exe with the path of the client installation you want to be made current. For example to set DataStage 6.0.1 (installed into C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage601) as the current clients execute:

DSMakeCurVersion.exe "C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage601"
AndrewWebbUK
Participant

Post by AndrewWebbUK »

ray.wurlod wrote:Hi Neil.

Alas, the answer is an unqualified NO.

The message about the RPC not being started is returned from the server. Even though you're connecting (trying to connect!) to different servers, the problem is that the ActiveX control that exposes objects used by DataStage clients in version 6.0 is incompatible with 4.2 server.
well, actually the answers yes.. in a way.. you can install multiple DSlclients if you have the DS7 Client CD. on there is a UNSUPPORTED application that makes a particular version of the client 'the current' one.

so its possible to install say client 4, client 6, and client 7 all on the same client machine, and use the client switch application to swap between these. now only ONE can be current at any one time.

and also you can only have ONE DataStage Server at a time.. but the above will allow you to run connections to different datastage server versions from the same client machine.
Andrew Webb
Principal SE Ascential UK

www.ascential.com
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Aha! So it does exist! :lol:

Good to know.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Since I'd been at Neil's site recently I knew what he wanted, and he expressed it accurately: 4.2 and 6.x. The answer is still NO. :(
None of this "if you have 7.x" caveat!
Their upgrade from 4.2 is hindered by their running on an old HP machine that - iirc - maxes out at HP-UX 8 or thereabouts.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
AndrewWebbUK
Participant

Post by AndrewWebbUK »

to run 4.2 and 6.x client he still only needs the client switcher.. i admit he needs the cd to get the utility, he could check whith local support, the utility phyically swaps over registry entries and we've tested with 4.x 5.x 6.x and 7.. server version is irrelevant
Andrew Webb
Principal SE Ascential UK

www.ascential.com