Problem while connecting to a project of DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Vipin
Participant

Problem while connecting to a project of DataStage

Post by Vipin »

Hi ,

I am new user of DataStage and learning DataStage doing tutorials and all.

I was doing some R & D with the tool and messed up with things,
Now the problem I faced was I was unable to connect to that particular project I was working " DEV ", giving an error as follows :

Failed to connect to host: WIB260076, project: DEV
( The directory you are connecting to either is not a UV account or does
not exist (39125))

But it was able to connect the same account using telnet,
my question is ... :?:

1. Can telnet utility be used to import export jobs that has been created in a project, I am unable to connect to?
2. When I copied "D_VOC" file from another project "Prod" into "DEV" and refreshed the account information using UPDATE.ACCOUNT, It started working again.
3. what is the significance of "D_VOC" file and what is its use..??
4. What I did was the correct solution to this problem or something else could have been done ?

Please reply,

Regards
Manoj Mishra
kcbland
Participant

Re: Problem while connecting to a project of DataStage

Post by kcbland »

Vipin wrote:
1. Can telnet utility be used to import export jobs that has been created in a project, I am unable to connect to?
2. When I copied "D_VOC" file from another project "Prod" into "DEV" and refreshed the account information using UPDATE.ACCOUNT, It started working again.
3. what is the significance of "D_VOC" file and what is its use..??
4. What I did was the correct solution to this problem or something else could have been done ?
1. No, you MUST use the client side Manager.
2. Do NOT do stuff like this. If you corrupted your project by wiping out contents at the file system level, you should have learned a valuable lesson. DS jobs current working directory is the project, so if you fail to fully qualify path names in scripts, jobs, etc, then files/commands work from the project directory. This can be tragic if you issue a "rm *" command from jobs with an invalid/missing path. This is one of the reasons my best practices are to have work areas explicitly pathed and never on the same file system as the project.
3. Can of worms questions. In short, it describes the contents of the VOC file. The VOC file is like a global system file full of pointers to all hash files, compiled programs, etc. within the project. See point #2 again to emphasize the exposure to corruption if you wipe out the VOC.
4. Keep current exports of all of your projects, like daily at the end of the day in your development environments. Don't land work files in your project. Put all of your jobs into something like PVCS. Isolate projects on file systems separate from data file systems so that running out of disk space during transformation doesn't run the project out of disk space and corrupt the project. Lots of suggestions, so little time.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle