DataStage Encryption/Decryption in Server/parallel

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsuser1
Participant

DataStage Encryption/Decryption in Server/parallel

Post by dsuser1 »

I have a requirement to encrypt the data and load it to another table. Also I will need to decrypt it for the next stage. Can anybody tell me how to approach this in datastage? I have Server Job and Parallel installed (6.0.1). Do both server and parallel support this? Please give me direction in this.

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage does not expose the encyption algorithm it uses for encrypted parameters. Nor does it provide any inbuilt encryption functionality. You have to add your own.

You can access this by various means, such as a Routine invoking a C function. None of the means is straightforward, which is only to be expected for encryption!

Note, too, that you may end up generating data with which DataStage does not cope particularly well, such as a byte whose value is 0 within a string. (C treats a zero byte as "end of string").
dsinfosys13
Participant

urgent help needed.

Post by dsinfosys13 »

Ray / Ken ,
Pls share your knowledge of how a "SIMPLE" C function can be called from DataStage. Please explain it in simple terms, so that I can follow your instructions.

If I am successful in that I shall plug in encryption code from openssl.org to implement encryption..

Rgds and TIA,
CP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teej
Participant

Re: urgent help needed.

Post by Teej »

What Ray is referring to is using BASIC routines to call C functions. This is possible for PX, but...

What I would recommend is for you to build a Custom Stage.

Read your documentation for Parallel Extender (parjdev.pdf) - "Parallel Job Developer's Guide" - specifically Chapter 49 - "Specifying Custom Parallel Stages". The details provided in that chapter is far better than what we can provide in a small post.

However, do ask if you are confused by anything detailed on that documentation. We will gladly elaborate on it.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).