View Data issue on Oracle9i Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bigpoppa
Participant

View Data issue on Oracle9i Stage

Post by bigpoppa »

DataStage Server Edition 7.0 on Windows XP
----------------------------------

Hello.

I am having a problem with the "View Data" function on the Oracle9i stage in DataStage Server Edition 7.0. When I click on it, no data comes up even if its SQL query runs fine in SQLplus. Not only does it not show data, it just doesn't show anything, not even a
"Data Source Empty" box. After I click the "view data" button, the control just returns to the screen from where I accessed "View Data".

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
BP
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

BP

Thanks. You just scared the rest of us from going to version 7. Call support. I am sure it is something simple.

Kim.

Kim Duke
DsWebMon - Monitor DataStage over the web
www.Duke-Consulting.com
Last edited by kduke on Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

BP,

Ascential has released a new(er) version of vmdsrpos.dll (this version may be what is packaged with 7.0), which has a lot to do with client server connection etc... and there is a version of this dll that has issues when an incorrect user id or password is entered. Please make sure that the user id, dsn, password are correct especially if they are parameters. Other than that I agree with Kim that you may want to contact Ascential. I know of a few customers using 7.0 with Oracle 9i and they are not experiencing this issue.

Regards,

Michael Hester
bigpoppa
Participant

Post by bigpoppa »

:)

Don't let this scare you from upgrading to 7.0.. DS Server 7.0 is working fine otherwise..

- BP
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
since you said winXP I hope this info will help (more like hoping this is what you got and not a bug :wink: )

sometimes in winXP the windows get lost one behind the other and you seem to get stuck.

to solve this simply right click in your task bar on an empty space and choose the tile horizontally or vertically this will get the hidden window to show; next you click on it, making it the current window and again right click on the task bar and click on undo tile.

another thing I can think of,
I once had the repository section of the designer vanish and the solution was to fix a registry entry for the position of the repsitory, which for some unkown reason way off the screen.
maybe this is similar, but you support can answer this question better then me.

please, do post the answer so other might benefit from your experiance

IHTH (I Hope This Helps)
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I see this "disappearing window" trick on XP waaaay too often. Your biggest clue that your window has been "left behind" and has not just simply blown up is the fact that, even though you are back on the Designer palette, you can't do anything. Sometimes you get an hourglass and sometimes you don't. Click - Bong! Sorry, try again. :wink:

I haven't tried the "tile" trick. I bring up the Task Manager, find the Designer session, right-click on it and select Minimize... your viewer window should then show up.

I also see this with the "Open Job" dialog on occassion. What a PITA. :x

Of course, if you can go on and work in the Designer after your viewer window fails to appear then something other evil is at work here. BP, did you ever get a resolution to this?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
bigpoppa
Participant

Post by bigpoppa »

No, I still have not gotten the new vmdsrpos.dll, so I am still having the same problem. If the new dll fixes the problem, I'll let you know when I get it.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

From memory there's a "minimize all windows" option available if you right mouse click on the task bar. This is also a neat and quick way to get to the Task Manager.
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

ray.wurlod wrote:From memory there's a "minimize all windows" option available if you right mouse click on the task bar. This is also a neat and quick way to get to the Task Manager.
Also can be done with the window button (the one between ctrl and alt on Windows keyboards) and M pressed together.

You have no idea how many people fall in love with me for sharing that tidbit with them. :lol:

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

TJ

Can I buy you lunch. Neat tip.

Kim.
Mamu Kim
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

kduke wrote:Can I buy you lunch. Neat tip.
:)

Hope to see ya at AscentialWorld.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
emma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by emma »

Hi guys,

I have the same problem , what I have to do ?
Thanks,
Emma