DS/390

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jseclen
Participant

DS/390

Post by jseclen »

Hello,

I'm developing job mainframes, the datatypes used are integer signed and unsigned, the problem is when define in DataStage the datatype as integer, but the default is signed, i need to define a integer unsigned..

Is there a problem when read a dataset using the incorrect datatype, in this case the integer signed when the data is signed???

Miguel Seclen
Lima - Peru
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Did you import the table definition from a DCLGen file or from an FD file? If so, what does DataStage report?

You could probably tolerate signed integers, redefining them as unsigned if necessary in a WORKING STORAGE section. After all, the sign bit in an integer is always in the most significant bit position.
You might also like to edit the template for the stage type that you're using.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
ariear
Participant

Post by ariear »

Miguel,

What exactly do you mean ? Can you ask your question in cobol terms like PIC 9(3) comp-3 or pic S9(3) comp-3 which are not the same !

ArieAR
jseclen
Participant

Post by jseclen »

Arier,

In my job i see the next format

Field1 Pic S9(9) COMP

and must be

Field Pic 9(9) COMP

But my field is unsigned !! when the field format is signed is there a problem when try to read???

This is my question... :cry:
ariear
Participant

Post by ariear »

Hi,
I know this problem (oops ! feature) fron DS 4. Unsigned packed decimal were not supported (It was documeneted !) for internal maipulations i.e. transformer/external routine API etc.
I'm not updated with this issue on newer versions. Check it out .
If you're only reading then DataStage will internally convert the field from pic 9(9) comp-3 to s9(9) comp-3
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... which, as being handled within DataStage, is simply a signed integer. These can readily be converted to unsigned numeric values within DataStage, for example for writing to text file. I outlined the technique earlier (for four-byte integers) - use a different constant for eight-byte integers.