continuous reading funnel

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

continuous reading funnel

Post by tonystark622 »

I recently saw a statement that it would nice if DataStage had a continuous reading funnel. Does anyone have any idea what that might mean? I couldn't find anything meaningful on Google about this.

Thanks,
Tony
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

A funnel is used to converge multiple primary data streams into a single primary data stream.

They're probably referring to the issue with the Server link collector. It does a round-robin read off each incoming link. If there is not a row at an incoming link the collector will stall there waiting for a row. Once it gets a row it moves to the next link and waits for a row. Unless rows are stacked behind every link, the collector stalls on the slowest feeding link.

This is why you're better off either writing each output link to a file or a named pipe, so that output spools at the speed in which it is produced.

Kenneth Bland
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Kenneth,

I thought of that briefly, but didn't make the connection that you proposed. Good thinking. :)

Is there an equivalent in Parallel extender? I suspect that may have been where that comment was directed.

I appreciate your reply.

Tony Stark
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

Hello --

The funnel stage for Parallel Extender also suffered from the same problem for 6.0, as in waiting in a round-robin style. Fortunately, it have been noted for 7.0 that the Funnel stage's performance problem was fixed. I have not yet tested the validity of that advice.

-T.J.

... now if this can make breakfast, my life is complete.