phantom warning message

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

xli
Charter Member
Charter Member

phantom warning message

Post by xli »

Hi,

I have a job process about 5 million records, it took nearly 3 hrs. But datastage issue a warning message as below:

DataStage Job 2358 Phantom 4408
Date/time stamp in file header has been modified!
DataStage Phantom Finished

I will appreciate to your any advices ?

Thanks,

xiong
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This message is typically generated when you run utilities such as RESIZE. Are there any routines in your job stream that might invoke such utilities? It's really an informative message rather than a warning, but DataStage takes the view that any unexpected message emitted by a child process (phantom) needs to be logged as a warning so that you're aware that an exceptional circumstance has occurred.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
Optico
Participant

Post by Optico »

Yeah. But wouldn't the use of e.g. a dynamic hash file do some resizing during a 5 mill. record run ?

If it is at all possible use sequential files instead of hash files for performance reasons.

B. Sorensen,
Optico IT ApS
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The automatic resizing of a dynamic hashed file does not emit the message about the date/time stamp in the header being updated; it's a normal part of dynamic hashed file operation. RESIZE is not the only utility that can generate such a message, some of the file repair utilities do as well; the point was to ask whether the job, or one of its controlling jobs, is executing any such utility.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
raju_chvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Phantom 1988

Post by raju_chvr »

Phatom 1988

Program "JOB.1683879296.DT.1295430175.TRANS1": Line 297, Nonnumeric data when numeric required. Zero used.

This is the warning message I am getting in my job log. Frankly there is no TRANS1 named Transformation in my job and I couldn't figure out which Transformation/column is throwing out that error.

thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you start another thread for this? It's entirely unrelated to the original question.
The name is that of the DataStage BASIC subroutine generated by compiling a particular Transformer stage; the actual name of the stage is incorporated in the first ten-digit string in the file name, and is documented within the code.