Connection from DS 5.2 server to DS 6.0.1 Server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

badhri
Participant

Connection from DS 5.2 server to DS 6.0.1 Server

Post by badhri »

Greetings,

I am trying to query some job details of a job in DS 6.0.1 from a Server that has DS 5.2. I get the 81016 error message. What is the work around for this. Should I upgrate the server that has 5.2 to 6.0.1 ?.Both the servers are Sun Solaris 2.8.

In addition to this if I use the dsjob executable in the DS version 6.0.1 I get a Coredump (Segmentation Fault) error. Any idea how to resolve this.

Thanks in Advance.

Badhri ...

Badhrinath Krishnamoorthy
www.cognizant.com
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Release x only works with release x. You cannot mix clients across versions. Period.

Kenneth Bland
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Badhri

Ken is right. You should not be able to connect using the different clients. They use different DLLs. You can export a job from a older version of DataStage and import it into a newer version but the opposite is not true. I would recompile the job afterwards. You should not get core dumps. If you are moving jobs at the UNIX level then forget it. It will never work. You may be able to move hash files without problems but not DataStage internal files.

Kim.

Kim Duke
DsWebMon - Monitor over the web
www.Duke-Consulting.com
badhri
Participant

Post by badhri »

Thanks for your feedback.

I am trying to get the jobinfo of the jobs using the dsjob executable. When I try it directly from the Server that has the DS 6.0.1 I get the Core Dump (Segmentation Fault) error message.

Can you pleas help me as to how to debug this issue at the server end.

Thanks,
Badhri ...

www.cognizant.com
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

How about you post the exact message, as well as the command line you are trying. Are you fully qualifying your command dsjob with hostname, userid, and password options? If not, try that, but please post a reply.

Kenneth Bland
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

If you have both version 5 and 6 running at the same time you can use the browser based products from Duke Consulting available for download from the Datastagexchange site. I believe there is a free evaluation period. This will let you continue to use version 5.0 client on your PC and to run and review version 6.0 jobs through your browser.

Vincent McBurney
Data Integration Services
www.intramatix.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The BCI functions within DataStage can communicate between servers running different releases (which is what I believe the OP is seeking).

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Badhri

Vincent is right buy DwNav or use Reporting Assistant. The record format changes every release. Even the hash file name changes. Reporting Assistant is more consistant.

Kim.

Kim Duke
DsWebMon - Monitor over the web
www.Duke-Consulting.com
badhri
Participant

Post by badhri »

Greetings,

No matter whether it is version 5 or 6. Of i go to the bin directory of the server and type dsjob I get the error message "Segmentation Fault(coredump)". Ideally when we do this it would return

Command Syntax:
dsjob [-file | [-server ][-user ][-passwor
d ]]
[]

Valid primary command options are:
-run
-stop
-lprojects
-ljobs
-lstages
-llinks
-jobinfo
-stageinfo
-linkinfo
-lparams
-paraminfo
-log
-logsum
-logdetail
-lognewest

Don't understand why this is happening. Kindly help.

Badhri ...

www.cognizant.com
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Make sure you have done a ". /whereverthedsenvfilelives/dsenv" into your environment first.

Kenneth Bland
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Badhri,

First,

you don't have to source your environment for dsjob to work, ie., you do not need to do a ". /whereverthedsenvfilelives/dsenv", although sourcing the environment will not hurt anything.

Second,

This is an open case with Ascential under case number - G19704 opened on 03/28/03 under version 6.01 and applies only to Solaris 2.8 with NLS installed, but does not appear to happen on 6.01 Solaris 2.8 without NLS installed.

There is no workaround or patch as of 09/16/2003.

If you are running with NLS and don't need it then you can disable, uninstall etc... and the problem may/should go away. If you are running NLS and need it then you may have to wait for Ascential to resolve this issue.

Ray W may be able to help more with NLS and how to turn it on or off, but I believe you do this via the uvconfig file in the DS home directory.

Regards,

Michael Hester
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The NLSMODE parameter in the uvconfig file turns NLS on or off. You need to regenerate the disk shared memory segment image (uvregen) then stop and re-start the DataStage services.

But what is it you're trying to accomplish? As I posted earlier, you may be able to use BCI functions to communicate between one and the other.

One caveat on this; there are some restrictions. For example either both machines or neither machine can have NLS enabled. There may be compatibility issues (based on key size) if you are working with 64-bit files and attempting to retrieve data into 32-bit files.
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Ray,

Actually my response was to that part of the post regarding dsjob and the segmentation error and why this is not working on their system. I agree with your assertation that BCI functions would work.

Regards,

Michael Hester
badhri
Participant

Post by badhri »

Hi Micheal,

Thanks for the input that this an known DS issue. Do you have any idea what the next steps in this regard from Ascential. Are you facing the similar issue or do you know anybody facing the similar issue.

To addup to this. When we did the installation we had this working and eventually ended up with the Core dump error. Any inputs in this regard?

Thanks in Advance.
Badhri ...

www.cognizant.com