Why should one go for Datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

Hi Raju,

There are so many reasons to say why Datastage instead of Informatica.

Datastage has a Universe Database
You can create your own Functions and scripts
Has hash file which is very useful for lookup
Faster than Infomatica and jobs can be tunned for performance
Version Control
etc.
these are few out of many.

Cheers
Rasi
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It really depends on how you prefer to design your ETL. DataStage uses more of a top-down approach, where you visualise and model the data flow, then fill in the details of what data and where. I like its automatic management of metadata, too.
Last time I looked at Informatica, it was more of a bottom-up strategy, and required one to do a lot more scripting than DataStage. But this is a couple of years back, and they may have improved it since.
I believe that DataStage can connect to a much greater range of data sources than Informatica. The DataStage plug-in architecture means that it is easier to maintain and has lower TCO into the future (over the typical life of a DW), and with parallel extender can blow any competitive ETL product out of the water in terms of throughput performance.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
Peytot
Participant

Post by Peytot »

Hi,
I'm working on DataStage (Ascential) and Powermart (Informatica).
Another point for DataStage :
- DataStage is more easy to happend then Informatica. To know well informatica, you need several month
- the quality of the support. Ascential is very better than Informatica.
- graphic, ....

Pey