ParamValue is appropriate (pathname parameter)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

victorbos
Participant

ParamValue is appropriate (pathname parameter)

Post by victorbos »

Hello all,

I have a routine that returns a path+filename. This is used as a parameter for a subsequent job.
When I write this parameter to the log with UtilityMessageToLog, I see a correct path+filename.
The problem is that the job that uses this as a parameter returns with an error "ParamValue/Limitvalue is not appropriate". This is returncode -4 of DSSetParam.

The parameter is defined as type "string", I also tried "pathname" but that gave the same error.

any clues?

Victor.

---
Victor Bos - Datastage developer, the Netherlands
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Hello Victor,

I have never worked with this kind of passing parameters by reading from the logfile of other jobs. How do you try to read it. The from DataStage foreseen method is Job1 is writing to its own userstatus and Job2 is read from the userstatus of Job1.

Wolfgang Huerter
=====================
Cologne, Germany
victorbos
Participant

Post by victorbos »

quote:Originally posted by WoMaWil
[...]I have never worked with this kind of passing parameters by reading from the logfile of other jobs[...]

Hi Wolfgang,
Now you misunderstand: this is not how it works.
I only include a call to UtilityMessageToLog, to make sure that the parameter value is correctly read.
This is the case, but when the job is called, I get the "ParamValue/Limitvalue is not appropriate" error.

Victor.

---
Victor Bos - Datastage developer, the Netherlands
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Victor,

How are you using the generated parameter in the subsequent job? Can you post the details of how you are passing it, please? Also, your system specifics, especially DataStage version in case that's an issue.

-craig