Dependancy Checks

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jeredleo
Participant

Dependancy Checks

Post by jeredleo »

All,
We currently don't have a distributed systems scheduler, but working on it, and we are trying to set dependancies between Mainframe Jobs and DataStage. Right now we can use FTP's to trigger things back and forth, but that is a lot of work. We were thinking of using tables, where a MF job would set a flag indicating it is done processing and DS would read the table for that process flag and check to see if it can process (kind of like the Wait for File). I believe I can read the table and then do a NAP in DS to wait and then read the file again, however, I am assuming that I would need to do this in Job control, but don't know how to code a Table Read in DS BASIC. Can anyone help or have a different idea of how to do this? Thanks.

JB
spracht
Participant

Post by spracht »

JB,

a couple of ideas are outlined in: http://www.tools4datastage.com/forum/to ... C_ID=84730

Hope this helps!

Stephan
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
you don't need to know how to use ODBC via batch job, though I implemented this a few times.

simply build a job which sets user status in a transformer dpending on the data read from the table.

then use a batch/control job written in DS Basic to run that job in a loop (with sleep) till the user status returnd says GO.

Good luck,

Roy R.
jeredleo
Participant

Post by jeredleo »

Thanks Roy, I was logically playing with something very similar to what you have mentioned just haven't put the meat into the job to see if it will work.

JB
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can create a job sequence with a WaitForFile activity that awaits the arrival of the file generated by, and transferred from, the DataStage job on the mainframe.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518