Promotion of Jobs into test and production

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Joshi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Promotion of Jobs into test and production

Post by Joshi »

Hi,

we are setting up a three tier environment. One Server for development, one for testing and one for production. I assume that it is nothing new.

In all three environments databases are changing for the sources and the targets. What would be the best way to keep database connections dynamical, so that there would be no need to change. I tried out "environment variables", but this leads to prompts when scheduling jobs. Is there something like global server variables and if so, how can I set them.

Regards,

Joerg.
spracht
Participant

Post by spracht »

If you have three different DataStage servers, you could use the same datasource names, but in the $(cat /.dshome)/.odbc.ini you would direct them to different databases.

Stephan
Joshi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Joshi »

Hello Stephan,

the datasource names will be different in all three environments and we will not connect through odbc but using OCI. Does that make a significant difference? Background information: We are currently planning the environment setup and we are actually working on Windows. The destination plattform will be Solaris.

Joerg.

quote:Originally posted by spracht
[br]If you have three different DataStage servers, you could use the same datasource names, but in the $(cat /.dshome)/.odbc.ini you would direct them to different databases.

Stephan
spracht
Participant

Post by spracht »

Hello Joerg,

I have no idea how the datasources are configured under Windows? Is there a configuration file or is it done in the registry? Is OCI not configured in the same place as ODBC datasources?

If the datasource names were the same on each of your servers, you wouldn't need to change anything when migrating.

Stephan
Joshi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Joshi »

The datasource names are configured in the tnsnames.ora, which is the central configuration file for Oracle Databases. But when defining an ORA8 or ORA9-Stage, one has to define the Datasource, User and Password to connect to the database and I would like to keep this variable to avoid changing these parameters when promoting a job from development to test or production.

Joerg.

quote:Originally posted by spracht
[br]Hello Joerg,

I have no idea how the datasources are configured under Windows? Is there a configuration file or is it done in the registry? Is OCI not configured in the same place as ODBC datasources?

If the datasource names were the same on each of your servers, you wouldn't need to change anything when migrating.

Stephan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

After you deploy a job into test or production, you can change the default values for parameters in Director.
This is the approach I would recommend, irrespective of what stage type you are using. Make the DSN, user, password, and so on job parameters and set suitable - perhaps different - default values in the different environments.
Options exist for DSGetParamInfo() function to determine in code the original (design time) default values as well as the current values and current default values.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
Joshi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Joshi »

Would it be enough to set up the three DataStage-Servers with according project parameters (in Director) and use them in the different jobs? I think that would avoid a manual change after deploying the job into test or production.

Joerg

quote:Originally posted by Ray.Wurlod
[br]After you deploy a job into test or production, you can change the default values for parameters in Director.
This is the approach I would recommend, irrespective of what stage type you are using. Make the DSN, user, password, and so on job parameters and set suitable - perhaps different - default values in the different environments.
Options exist for DSGetParamInfo() function to determine in code the original (design time) default values as well as the current values and current default values.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
Another way might be to build an "Identical" configuration environment in all 3 servers, which will contain a parameters table.
each server's parameters table will contain its own relevant parameters.

Good Luck,

Roy R.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You can create a parameter file with a list of common parameter names and values. EG. StagingDB, StagingLogin, StagingPWD. Before you run your main control job retrieve the list of parameters from the sequential file and reset any parameters that match. Have a seperate parameter file for each environment. This removes the manual intervention from the process and reduces the possibility of mistakes.

There have been a few threads already about reading parameters from a file or table.

Vincent McBurney
Data Integration Services
www.intramatix.com