Backup project at UNIX prompt

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

steven
Participant

Backup project at UNIX prompt

Post by steven »

Hi,

I was wondering if an utility exists with DataStage to backup a project at UNIX prompt? Running the dsexport from Windows could work but since everything resides on Unix, I want to perform a backup on our project on Unix...not from my workstation. Does copying the project file system is something safe in terms of recovery? Does the uvbackup utility is meant for project information or the DSEngine Universe?

P.S. We're on DS 6.0

Thanks,
Steve
steven
Participant

Post by steven »

Michael,

If you read carefully the case, I want to use anything but dscmdexport !!!!
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Steven,

Exactly, that's why I edited my response and qualified it with a big SORRY :-)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Nothing in DataStage is outside the file system, so you can use operating system backup utilities. The uvbackup utility can also be used. All backups must be performed with no DataStage processes running, lest you get a corrupted backup image caused by a dynamic hashed file changing shape half way through the backup (almost all Repository files are dynamic hashed files).
The big difference occurs when things are being restored. Operating system backups can only restore entire objects (such as hashed files) whereas uvrestore can restore individual records if necessary.
There are other considerations, irrespective of tool, when restoring to other than the original location. Information about indexing, entries in system tables and, possibly, information about distributed files will need to be repaired. (How to do this is beyond the scope of this note; you may need SET.INDEX, VERIFY.SQL, VERIFY.DF and/or REBUILD.DF commands.)

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518