Upgrading OCI8 stage to OCI9 Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sdpaeth
Participant

Upgrading OCI8 stage to OCI9 Stage

Post by sdpaeth »

I've got lots of jobs(200 to 300) using OCI8 stages. We are planing to upgrade all our Oracle databases to 9i soon so I will need to modify all my jobs using OCI8 stages to use OCI9 stages.

Does anyone know of any automated tools to do a mass conversion like this ? Something similar to the CompileAll tool.

Any info would be appreciated.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

sdpaeth

If it was that easy then Ascential would give you something. I doubt if there is anything. I would export a job. Save as new job name. Convert the new job to 9i. Export that. Compare the 2 export files. If they are similar then you might be able to do it from the exports otherwise it is complicated. Job designs are stored in DS_JOBOBJECTS. Stage types like OCI9 are called OLETYPE and they are stored in field 2 or 3. If they have not added or move the fields then you could just about change this field. If you do that then do a full export first. This gets very complicated. Nobody from Ascential is going to tell you how or even support you if you do either one of these options. Good luck.

Kim.

Kim Duke
DwNav - ETL Navigator
www.Duke-Consulting.com
jrvl
Participant

Post by jrvl »

You may want to have a look at Topic 83856 where it was noted that OCI8 stages will happily talk to 9i databases. So you may be able to get away with not having to change all your jobs.

Good luck,
John.
steven
Participant

Post by steven »

We converted our OCI8 to OCI9 using an utility from Ascential directly. They have it on their Support web Site under the download section. It's a routine that you run and converts all OCI8 to OCI9. Tested it and it work fine.

Other solution that we tested but preferred to use Ascential routine is to export the whole project and if you do a search and replace of OCI8 to OCI9. Since both OCIs are similar in terms of functionality, the result works as well.