FTP to NOVEL Server

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jeredleo
Participant

FTP to NOVEL Server

Post by jeredleo »

I am having problems trying to FTP to a Novel Server. The company has set a standard to have a 'Welcome Message' on the server when FTP'ing into it. However before this welcome message was put on the server my DS FTP jobs worked fine, however now they don't work and I think it's because DS is getting confused when trying to provide the Username and Password. I get error messages saying the FTP service is not running. Has anyone run into this or know anything about setting up these welcome messages in a different way?

Thanks,
JDB
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't have access to DS right now, so this is from memory...

In the FTP stage, you can define up to 8 (I believe) 'login' messages that DataStage can recognize and respond to. It defaults to the initial message having the word 'login' in it somewhere and then responding with your userid, then something similar is done for the password. Sounds to me like the introduction of the new welcome message is causing it to not think it can login. You should be able to move the existing prompts down one each and then insert a new one that will recognize something that is consistant in the message (like 'welcome' perhaps?) and then send a CR in response. Check the .pdf or online docs for the FTP stage for specifics, but that should get you working again.

-craig
jeredleo
Participant

Post by jeredleo »

I know what you are talking about, but I believe defining the 'prompts' are for telnet only and not FTP. However I have never used them, so if you have used them for the purpose of doing an FTP then I will give it a try. Something else I didn't mention is that I do have an FTP working to a WIN2K server that also has a welcome message however, it's welcome message is not displayed until after you log in where the Novell server gives you the welcome message right away.

Thanks,
JB
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ack! You are right... I was thinking of the Telnet prompts. [:I] Sorry.

Only other thing I could suggest (other than logging a call to support) would be to set the Trace levels in the job to find out exactly what's going on - unless you already know for sure. Try setting the Link Tracing Level on the input tab to something like 4 or 5.

-craig
jeredleo
Participant

Post by jeredleo »

Thanks, has anyone ran into this problem, or have any ideas?

Thanks,
JB
inter5566
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by inter5566 »

JB,

Have you tried to set the trace level to the max value. I know I've used the trace to find ftp errors in the past. Generates a large log, but will contain all the ftp transaction messages.

hope this helps,
Steve