Usage of C++ compiler to run PX jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dlvsrinivas
Participant

Usage of C++ compiler to run PX jobs

Post by dlvsrinivas »

According to the documentation from Ascential, A C++ compiler is required to run Parallel extender jobs. Could somebody explain me when and how exactly this C++ compiler is used in running PX jobs. Is this installation mandatory to run these jobs?
Thanks in advance,
Srinivas.
Peytot
Participant

Post by Peytot »

If you would like to use an active stage like Transformer, you are obliged to have the compiler. I tested, I forgot to install the compiler on my new server. Now I don't think that I do this error another time.

Pey
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't have PX, but Ascential does require the appropriate C++ *runtime libraries* be installed for the DataStage server to run properly. Perhaps that is what the documentation is referring to, not the compiler itself.

Or perhaps it needs the compiler to generate the PX jobs, if they compile down to native code.

In either case, they seem pretty mandatory to me... [:)]

-craig
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

You have to purchase the appropriate C compiler listed in your release documentation. This is the only way to compile PX jobs, as they are the new technology. If you don't have PX, this does not concern you.

Kenneth Bland
bigpoppa
Participant

Post by bigpoppa »

My two cents..

PX uses the C compiler to compile the transform stage and 'new parallel' stages (i.e. buildop). If you don't use the transformer or buildop stage in your PX jobs, I don't think PX needs the compiler to build the job, but PX might still insist on having one there anyway.

If you run into compile-time errors with transform, you can look at the code that PX generates to encapsulate your transformer stage's functionality. If you know basic c programming, you can debug your transform from looking at this code.

I recommend that anyone who uses PX takes a look at the code that PX generates. It's a great way to see how PX is working under the covers, and it can help you understand ways to optimize your implementation of the transformer stage in PX. For instance, for a more performant transformer, you might consider using fewer stage vars b/c stage vars can add unneccessary bulk to PX-generated code.

-BP