UniVerse user limit reached

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

mihai
Participant

UniVerse user limit reached

Post by mihai »

Hello

Over the last couple of days, we've been getting the message "UniVerse user limit reached. Please try again later" when there are 13 or more users declared by LISTU.

We use the UniVerse engine a lot in our DataStage work. Could somebody tell us where this user limit comes from, and whether we can set it to a higher value?

Thanks in advance,
Mihai

Post by jeredleo »

How many users do you have a license for? If you are going above your license limit that's probably why you are getting the error message and you would have to obtain more from Ascential.

JB
mihai
Participant

Post by mihai »

Hmm.. depends on the definition of 'license limit'.

We have a license of 1 developer and 64 run-time (Director) sessions. Anyway, it is possible to connect using the DS Client tools (e.g. Administrator/Director), so I can't nail it down to that.

What I omitted to mention is that the message appears when trying to telnet to the DataStage server.

Kind regards,
Mihai

Post by jeredleo »

If you are doing a Telnet then check on the number of concurrent connections you can have on the Server itself. That would be a server thing and not a DS issue.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You didn't specify what version of DataStage you were using. The licensing model changed when the DataStage Engine began to diverge from UniVerse (which, in the longer term, may have impacts on how you are doing things - you may need a UniVerse licence from IBM as well as a DataStage licence from Ascential).
In the bin directory within the server engine directory you will find an executable called uvlictool that can report how many connections are licensed. If I recall correctly, at release 4.2 and earlier this was a hard-coded limit of 4; at release 5.0 it is tied explicitly to the number of developers you have licensed.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
mihai
Participant

Post by mihai »

I was only able to connect 4 telnet users at once - uvlictool confirmed this. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Mihai

P.S. The DS version was 4.2.1r8

Post by ewartpm »

quote:Originally posted by Ray.Wurlod
[br]You didn't specify what version of DataStage you were using. The licensing model changed when the DataStage Engine began to diverge from UniVerse (which, in the longer term, may have impacts on how you are doing things - you may need a UniVerse licence from IBM as well as a DataStage licence from Ascential).
In the bin directory within the server engine directory you will find an executable called uvlictool that can report how many connections are licensed. If I recall correctly, at release 4.2 and earlier this was a hard-coded limit of 4; at release 5.0 it is tied explicitly to the number of developers you have licensed.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518