Plug-in Development

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Plug-in Development

Post by ds_developer »

I have been asked to look into the development of a plug-in for our Merge utility (which is a DOS command-line program). I have found limited information in the Server Job Developer's Guide. It talks only about using the DataStage C plug-in interface. I have also found the sample code in the Plug-in Samples directory of the DataStage installation. Does anyone know of any other documentation? I'd rather use Visual BASIC, is that possible?

Any advise is appreciated!
Thanks,
John
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

This guide is a separate documentation which you have to request seperatly from Ascential.

If you want to start one of your existing tools from DataStage you don't have to write such a plugin, there are many easier way. To write a plug-in is not easy.

If you want some Infos about VB and DataStage, please send me a mail and I can perhaps tell you a bit.

Wolfgang Huerter
=====================
Cologne, Germany
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

To create a plug-in stage you need to program the stage itself in C (which means you need a C compiler for the particular platform). Custom GUIs are programmed in C++. All this is in the "Plug-In Writers Guide" which, as Wolfgang suggested, can be requested from Ascential.
You can also create custom functions in the Windows environment, and call these from DataStage. You need to encapsulate them in a class that is exposed via an ActiveX control. You need to import the "external function definition" into the DataStage repostory (in Manager, choose Import > External Function Definition...)
Once you are in this dialog, the Help button will give a little more information; essentially you specify the location of the file containing the class module.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
jauthier
Participant

Post by jauthier »

i try to build the 'passive' plug-in sample and a header file (dscapi.h) is missing [?]. i found only dsapi.h in the INCLUDE directory
could someone help me ?
is it possible to download the DataStage Plug-In Writer's Guide.