Packed data

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tjmeichen
Participant

Packed data

Post by tjmeichen »

I am trying to FTP packed data from an OS/390 system to Data Stage 6.0. I keep getting an error that I have a mismatch number of columns between my data and my link. I used a cobol layout for my meta data. What do I need to declare my fields as for data type? I have tried several different types and I get the wrong or no data. The file does have character data in it as well.
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

You may find a recent thread helpful.

Good luck!

Tony
tjmeichen
Participant

Post by tjmeichen »

From what I read on the recent thread, the responses appear to be from after the data is FTP'd to the server. I need to know how to get the data in its native form over to the server.
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Are you doing the FTP in a DataStage job (in an FTP stage)? Or in an external process? It might be better to FTP the job over outside DataStage, then try reading the file and converting it. There are some options in the metadata that allow DataStage to ignore incomplete fields and rows... That also might be helpful.

Good Luck,
Tony
cwong
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by cwong »

One quickie attempt is to check whether you have binary mode on before get/put file, i.e. type I [^]

cwong
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This is the kind of task that the MetaRecon product performs. It profiles data not by looking at the metadata but by looking at the actual data and inferring what the metadata should be. Find out more from the Ascential web site, or contact someone in Ascential, or visit the sister site of this one (www.datastagexchange.com) and check out the Forums there.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518