how to forbid the warning log in director

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Toly_xiang
Participant

how to forbid the warning log in director

Post by Toly_xiang »

My datastage server is 5.2.2 on AIX
and datastage director is 5.2.2.
I have a column like china-name,when run the director,china-name produce many warning log,but the warning log is not important,but because the recorsets are very large,also the director produce many warning log on the column china-name.
How to forbid producing warning log when running the datastage director?[:)]

XiangMing
BOCGD CHINA
86-20-83153225
Toly_xiang
Participant

Post by Toly_xiang »

and I use CFF stage

XiangMing
BOCGD CHINA
86-20-83153225
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Hi XiangMing,

don't start at the wrong side. If you define your fields correct you will not get any warning. Any warning, even if the result is okay tells you, that you have coded something wrong.

Wolfgang Huerter
=====================
Cologne, Germany
Peytot
Participant

Post by Peytot »

First, sorry for my english

I don't know if it's your case [?] but if the Input Lenght is greater than the Ouput, you have to use, in the transformer, the 'trim' function or the function : field[first position, lenght].

If it's not your case, sorry, could you put the log that you have in your directory?

Peytot
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Warning messages will ALWAYS be logged.

You can use the filter (Tools > Filter, or Ctrl-T) to prevent the display of warnings, but the warnings will still be there in the log.

It is important, as the others have said, to understand why the warnings are being produced. You may be generating corrupt data (for example, if the warnings relate to not being able to map Chinese characters correctly).

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
Toly_xiang
Participant

Post by Toly_xiang »

yes , the warning log relate to not being able to map Chinese characters correctly
but 90% are correct. only 10% have problem
datastage server is 5.2.2 on AIX,

but the log size is bigger than 2G, the disk where datastage server have been installed do not support large file system .so the job stop.

I have another file system that support large file system ,
so I want to find where is the log ?

where is the log file?

I want to redirect the log to large file system.
How to redirect to log file to another directory?[:)]

XiangMing
BOCGD CHINA
86-20-83153225
WoMaWil
Participant

Post by WoMaWil »

Hi XiangMing,

Could you divide perhaps your job in more runs, so you could tell datastage to clear the logfile after each run. Lets say, you have 1000 row to load, you may load 10 times 100 rows instead and your Logfile will have 10% of the size. This could be done by batch for example.

For the redirect, I am not sure if it could be done without problems. I don't have any expirience yet. The LOG-information is in a directory called RT_LOG{JobNo} in the Projectdirectory. In the Administrator you can open the project and execute the command:

select JOBNO from DS_JOBS where NAME = '{JobName}';

by that you know the {JobNo} and you can redirect this directory.

Wolfgang Huerter
=====================
Cologne, Germany
Peytot
Participant

Post by Peytot »

I prefer to carry out a control of the files rather than to have warnings. When you will put in production your job, I am not sure, on the every day, people will check if the warnings are normals.
All warning in production [V] must be analyzed (except for PX, for this moment). In order to determine the corrupted data , you could create a job for filter the valid/Invalid data.
You can test the fields seems to you critical or the length of the row. This procedure could possibly, help you within the framework of the quality of the data.

Pey
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

It is always best to avoid the warnings as they really do slow the job down, however if you can't avoid the warnings there are a couple of ways to make space for them.

First you should set your auto purge on that job to clear out all log messages beyond 1 job run.

Second you can create a new project on your other larger disk. The job log files are by default under your /ascential/datastage/projects directory. There is a folder in here for each project and each job has a folder in the project they belong to.

In DataStage administrator you can create a new project and change the path of that project to your other disk drive. Look for the "Project pathname" field andtype the new path there. You can then move your job into this project with export/import.

Vincent McBurney
Data Integration Services
www.intramatix.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can modify your log file so that it can handle more than 2GB using the following command, perhaps from the Administrator client Command window. It is best done just after the log file has been purged of all entries.

RESIZE RT_LOGxx * * * 64BIT

Here, xx is the job number of the job from DS_JOBS, as explained earlier. Exactly three asterisk characters ( * ) are required, with spaces between them, and the keyword "64BIT" changes the internal addressing in the hashed file from 32-bit to 64-bit.

You will also need to enable large file handling in AIX.

(However, I would still be trying to track down why characters can not be mapped - you might be generating data that can not be used by those who need to do so.)

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
Toly_xiang
Participant

Post by Toly_xiang »

Thanks all
about characters can not be mapped .
It is not CFF's problem.
Because I have another C program,the C program is correct.
and also some data can not be mapped.
maybe the mainframe's problem.

XiangMing
BOCGD CHINA
86-20-83153225