The Oliver Project

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I wonder if the benefit is worth the cost?

I have used the archive, and found it a useful resource. It has the same issues that datastage-users@oliver.com has, namely a variety of good and not-so-good answers to questions, and the same questions being asked as new members join. Unfortunately, to filter out the not-so-good answers and the repetition would be, to my mind, a hugely time-consuming task requiring a large amount of accurate DataStage expertise, and of dubious business benefit. Personally I find the archive as it is to be quite useful and the search facility accurate enough to find what I need.

Big changes are afoot in DataStage, with the new release (7.0, now in beta, GA in July?) about to hit the streets, and folk still coming to grips with migrating to 6.0, with parallelism potential in server as well as parallel extender jobs. I think DCS resources would be better targeted at developing materials to assist these transitions.

My A$0.02 worth.

Ray Wurlod
Education and Consulting Services
ABN 57 092 448 518
rajesh_potluri
Participant

Post by rajesh_potluri »

With the ever increasing DataStage community, the proposed oliver project i am sure will be very useful for one and all. However it requires an expert to sort out the information and filter the not-so-good posts. Also since there have been drastic changes between the versions, categorising on the basis of the versions can also be considered among various other sub-categories. There's going to be a lot of effort, but definitely very useful for the DataStage community.
I would gleefully welcome the proposed project.

Best Wishes.
Rajesh.
Viswanath
Participant

Post by Viswanath »

I am with Ray on this. I dont think the project would be so much worth to eliminate the "not-so-good" answers. Also people who join in new, do repeat the questions asked in the forum. Though this might be a grey area, there are still people who religiously answer them. Or atleast give them reference to the thread.

Frankly speaking this is one of the best forum maintained. The archive is very good.
Also if the existing system goes down for the development of the new one, this might become a concern [:)].

Cheers

Viswanath.S
alanwms
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by alanwms »

I think organizing the archives into a knowledge base would be very helpful. I use Apple's knowledge base extensively to research problems and issues I encounter with my PowerBook, especially at the Unix level. Being able to see more topics with a drill-down or search capability would be great for the DS archive, especially if the version/platform/product information could be filtered at the front-end. Keep it up, Dennis.

Alan Williams